Old March 27th, 2007, 08:04 AM posted to aus.sport.fishing
swarvegorilla

Default any tips on feeding mangrove jacks?

Thanks mate, much appreciated!

They are amazing fish. I think my error has been giving them a bit too much
slack to do their run on.
Aside from mantis shrimp and octopus they are my favourite marine aquarium
predators.
Very cool.

"Brad" wrote in message
If you have ever tried for bream near mangrove roots you will know where
to look for jacks. Use heavier gear and a slightly overdone drag (locked
up is one way to say it), fish amongst the overhanging branches at the
turn of the tide with yabbie or prawn (live is always best for any
fishing) with as little lead as possible. Working barra lures is another
(if more expensive) way to target them. If you have already caught a small
one you should have some idea that these guys play for keeps and are one
of the hardest fighting fish for their size. From what I've seen the only
thing to compare them with is their cousin that I do battle with up here,
with a black reputation. Expect a bycatch of cod and bream, for the really
large ones you need to target the offshore reefs but there are other fish
to worry about on the reef.........

--
Brad Leyden
6° 43.5816' S 146° 59.3097' E WGS84

"swarvegorilla" wrote in message
u...
after a small one for a fishtank
any tips on hooking them up?
currently in northern NSW
know they are around Brunswick and Ballina
in river mouths
but ya, tackle, bait, time day tips
greatly appreciated