Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:54 PM
Heavy

What story was that? Randy and Ken both tried to kill me on the way
back from dinner on Sat. night! I seriously thought I was going to
die, could catch my breath from laughing so hard! There was something
in there about a pack of hot dogs as well???
Sleep deprivation had to have played a part in that as well???

Heavy

Charles B. Summers wrote:
I swear... I can't even try to tell that story again without

laughing. Man,
you had me doubled over on the boat about to **** in my pants.

"alwaysfishking" wrote in message
That was a night I won't soon forget, we could not even cast we

were
laughing so hard, what a night

"Joe Haubenreich" rofbmail (at) secretweaponlures (dot) com wrote

in
message ...
OK.... more details:

Wednesday, prefishing: weather was moderate (in the mid-60's),

cloudy,
with
scattered drizzle, turning to rain after awhile. Dan and I fished
together,
and the only two fish we caught were before 11:00.

bass #1: 4 pound smallmouth, caught about 20 feet off a rocky

secondary
point near the head of Indian Creek, with the boat in about 30

feet of
water. I'd estimate the water was about 18 feet deep where the

fish hit
my
1/2-ounce Secret Weapon White Shiner with single, gold willowleaf

blade.
- bass #2: 1 pound Kentucky (spotted) bass. Same spinnerbait, but

I cast
it
across a 6-inch diameter laydown trunk in about 1 to 1-1/2 foot

of
water.
The bass trapped the lure against the far side of the log. I just

cinched
it
up tight against the log, trolled over, and lipped it.

In the afternoon, Steve and I ran back out for a couple hours to

try to
locate bass just inside main lake points. We did find several

nice spots
(KY
bass) that hit pearl flukes and a white Senko. The pig of a bass

caught
hit my pearl Driftwood Lures drift stick within a foot of the

rocky
shoreline. It must have been there trapping fry and other prey in

the
shallow water. I brought it out to the boat, but then it threw

the hook.
stopped reeling. The bass darted off about three feet, turned

back, and
then
started moving its head back and forth like a dog trying to pick

up a
scent.
It spotted my lure, and then attacked it again. A hit and miss.

On its
next
attempt, I finally got a good hookset and brought it into the

boat.

Next, we ran to a shallow cove where the Indian Creek Church Camp

covered
boat dock sits. There Steve connected with a 4-pound largemouth

while
flipping his white Senko willows, brush, and timber in no more

than one
foot
of water. We suspected the largemouth had already spawned,

judging by
the
condition of its tail. Might have been a big male; if on a bed,

we never
saw
it.

In fact, although I looked, I never saw the first bass bed all

weekend.
Smallmouth had already spawned out, we were advised, but we

should have
seen
some sign of largemouth and spot spawning beds.

Thursday: threatening, gray skies turned to rain and then

thunderstorms
for
several hours. The spinnerbait was non-productive before the

storms set
in.
Afterwards, Dan and I picked up a couple of bass using white,

plastic
stick
baits, rigged Texas-style, without weights. I cast them alongside

laydowns
and around brush and willows. Then Randy, the Outdoor Frontiers

cameraman,
joined us for an hour of fishing and another in the private dock.

With
camera rolling, we picked up another bass off a laydown... same

bait and
pattern as befo just cast it out, let it drift down, and kept

an eye
on
my line. Any tick or unusual movement indicated a pickup; I never

felt
the
hits... just pressure.

Friday: Partnered with Joe P. Same weather.... less rain, more

wind,
cooler.
Nice, gray overcast all day long. I thought the fish should be a

little
more
active, although we were in a post-frontal condition. I think we

were
seeing
multiple fronts passing through. It may not have confused the

fish, but
it
sure threw me off.

My first bass of the day, another spot, came on the same

spinnerbait. I
took
it while moving up the dock under high trolling-motor speed, near

small
outcrop of rocks on an otherwise nondescript bank, between two
widely-separated laydowns. I believe the bass came out from the

shore to
hit
it. After that, we switched to white or baby bass and started

catching
two
more bass from rock shelves along the side of a deep cove off

Indian
Creek.
Working out way to the back, where water was shallow (about 15

feet
under
the boat at the tree tops), we flipped and cast around a half

dozen
laydowns, some blocking access to the shallowest section of the

cove.
That's
where Joe and I caught another seven keeper-size bass, all on

Drift
Sticks
and Senkos (or some other variant).

In the last hour, we ran back out toward the main lake, stopping

at the
mouth of Jones Branch -- a side cove just inside Indian Creek. We

tried
few more laydowns on the right side of the mouth with no luck.

With time
running out, we went across to a broken-rock rounded point

between two
nice
little pockets. We started at the left pocket, where we

immediately
started
getting hits on fast-moving Drift sticks, retrieved about two

feet down
in
walk-the-dog fashion. I got two strong hits, and Joe P. had

another. I
got
the first one up near the boat, close enough to see it was a big
smallmouth.
I suspect the others were as well. This is the place and the

retrieve
that
had been recommended to me, but foolishly I had not tried it

until the
very
end of the tournament. We ran out of time before it paid off for

us.

Saturday evening, two boats (Randy and Charles in one, Chris,

Dave, and
in
the other) went out with black lights and fluorescent lines for

some
nigh-fishing. Chris caught a nice 1-1/2 pound bass on a black

Senko,
rigged
weightless. Dave and I, too, tried it, and while I got a few

pecks and
one
solid "thump," in the hour we fished, we came up blank. I think

Randy
and
Charles caught another two. Had they not been laughing so hard

that
tears
obscured the trees lining the bank, they might have done even

better. As
it
was, they spent a lot of time retrieving their baits from

overhanging
limbs.

One other note.... Every bass I caught in three days was keeper

size.
All
were spots, with the exception of that big smallmouth.
--
Joe Haubenreich
www.secretweaponlures.com

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
Is there any way everyone can detail how they caught them without

giving
away the farm? Just curious how you guys worked through the

weather
situations?

Congratulations everyone, and I am glad to hear everybody had a

great
time.

chris