Old April 21st, 2008, 05:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Dave B.

Default help with a fishing project and I will give you my secret flyrecipe....

ctshover;111964 Wrote:
I need 50 people to fill this survey out for college ....thank you

Fly fishing versus bait fishing
Survey

1. Are you Male or Female?
___X__Male _____Female

2. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being not interested and 10 being very
interested. How interested in fishing are you?
__1 __2 __3 __4 __5 __6 __7 __8 __9 _X_10

3. Have you ever gone fishing before?
___X__Yes _____No

4. How many rods do you own?
__1 __2 __3 __4 _X_5+

5. The average person has fished about how many times?
___Never __X_1-5 times ___6-10 times ___11+ times

6. If you had a choice, what do you prefer Fly fishing or Bait
fishing?
_____Fly fishing ___X__Bait fishing

7. To you fly fishing is:
___Easy __X_Average ___Hard ___Difficult

8. To you bait fishing is:
__X_Easy ___Average ___Hard ___Difficult

9. When you bait fish do you have a problem putting bait on the hook?
__X_Never ___Rarely ___Sometimes ___Often ___Always

10. Which do you think is more expensive?
__X_Fly fishing ___Bait fishing ___Same

11. Fly fishing is fishing by the use of real flies.
___True __X_False

12. The line you use in Fly fishing is the same as the line you use in
Bait fishing.
___True __X_False

13. In your own words describe the differences between fly fishing and
bait fishing?
____Personal choice.____

14. The brand of rod you prefer is?
__X__Berkeley
__X_St. Croix
__X__G-Loomis
____Ugly-stick
__X__Abu-Garcia
__X__Other…..______________

15. Fly fishing is used more in:
__X__Rivers and Streams
____ Lakes and ponds

16. What species of fish do you fish the least, what do you fish the
most? (Number in order 1 being least, 7 being most.)
_7__Trout __4_Pan fish _2__Rough fish __3_Walleye
__1_Northern/Muskie __5_Salmon __6_Salt-water

17. When bait fishing, how often do you use the following live baits?
(N-never, R-rarely, S-sometimes, O-often, A-always)
__O_Night Crawlers __N_Leeches __S_Minnows __R_Wax
Worms’ __R_Crickets/grasshoppers __N_Freshwater shrimp __S_Crayfish

18. When fishing how often do you use the following artificial baits?
(N-never, R-rarely, S-sometimes, O-often, A-always)
__S_Dry flies __S_Nymphs __R_Wet flies __S_Terrestrials
__N_Spoons __R_Crankbaits __R_Plastic __S_Plain hook & bobber
__R_Buzzbaits __A_Spinners
_O__other:_hook & bait w/ small splitshot_

19. Where do you prefer to fish? (Number in order 1 being the least,
5 being the most)
__3_Shore __2_Dock/Bridge _4__Boat _5__Wading _1__On the ice

20. During which season do you like fish? (Number in order 4 being the
least, 1 being the most)
_1__Spring __2_Summer _3__Autumn _4__Winter

21. I was _5__ years old when I started fishing.

22. What is your first memory of fishing? How has that experience
influenced your fishing habits today?
___ Being 5, helping Dad net shiners, casting my line purportedly for
smallmouth and catching a beautiful 12" rainbow. Suffice it to say I
was hooked for life!

23. When trolling a __lure___ is used. (lure/bait)

24. The best fishing time during the day is1-best, 2-good, 3-fair,
4-
worst)
____morning ____noon ____afternoon _____evening ____midnight
Un-answerable, depends on species, conditions and time of year. One
could realistically put a '1' or '2' on every line.

25. What weather condition is the best?(check all that apply)
_X_sunny _X_windy _X_cloudy _X_rain __snow _X_calm

In my reply you'll note several changes/additions to the form.
Obviously you're free to omit them from your results analyses, but I
thought you may want to consider the points they raise. Also, while
this is just my humble opinion, I feel the content of the 'survey'
doesn't truly adhere to the intent implied in the title "Fly vs Bait".
A few examples of what I mean, in #4 you might want to ask how many fly
rods/how many spin-bait rods. #5 might be better worded "In your
opinion...". #9 is rather obscure in intent. Do you mean a problem with
physically baiting the hook or are you referring to aesthetics,
morality, conscience, etc? #'s 11 and 12 are ludicrous in the context
of the purported intent as to the title. #23 might also include the
option of 'streamers' if this is to truly be a fly vs bait survey. And
finally you'll notice I added the option of 'Often' as a response to
several of the queries. Going through the order of 'Never, Rarely,
Sometimes, Always' I think leaves a void that many replies would fall
into, hence my adding 'Often' between 'Sometimes' and 'Always'.

I hope I haven't offended you with my input, that certainly wasn't my
intent. That aside I wish you Good Luck with your project!

--
Dave B.