Old December 12th, 2007, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

Default Sometimes Catching Fish Isn't About Your Fishing Method

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

Yeh! Yeh. Spey cast indeed - a name invented to make someone loadsa
cash teaching gullible anglers the "correct" method.

On this occasion I'll take exception - usually you'd be right to debunk.
The Spey casts have the huge advantage of needing very little space behind
the angler which originally came from the very bushed-in banks of the river.
It's not as good as an overhead when there is room behind but it's quicker
than setting up a roll cast from scratch. I really notice the difference
when fishing in the sea with vertical rock behind: I can get an empty hook
back out much faster with a Spey but if I'm taking a fish (or a lump of
seaweed) a chuck then it's back to rolling.

You don't need lessons for the double spey, for the single it might help if
a mate videos you in action and you'll see at once where timing errors
occur.

There is soooo much hype spoken/written about the SPEY cast !!! Any
angler with half a brain will know it is pretty obvious what needs to be
done to retrieve the line and cast in the right direction.

Of I agree, the really hard part is working out which is the right directon.

An example of the "naming" of a particular cast reminds me of when I was
a lad. I was performing a roll cast years before I heard the name
"Roll" cast. It just naturally became part of fishing for me.

I have been asked 'What sort of cast do you call that?' - so there must be
some interest ;-)

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/