On Aug 15, 3:21 pm, Karel wrote:
try to tie it on a tube (i.e. the plastic tube of a q-tip) and you can
use your preferred short shank hook.

.....good idea. I got the same suggestion via email from Gary Soucie,
which proves--among other things--that smart people often have
the same idea.........and not all magazine editors are mindless
robots.
:-)
hey salmobytes, sorry here i am discussing about spring bass fishing which is generally good, bass are in their pre-spawn and spawn patterns and can be caught in very shallow water. The bass spawn is dictated by water temperature, normally between 55° F - 65° F. Typical spawning times on the Clearwater-Pipestone Chain of Lakes can be from the middle of May through the latter part of June. This is the time of year when smallmouth bass are close to or on the nest or bed. There has been a lot of controversy as to whether or not people should fish for spawning bass or not. We believe if fishing for bass on their beds, ensure they are landed quickly and released immediately so they can return back to the bed.

During this time of year almost every lure imaginable works. Topwater fishing is one of the most productive methods; floating Rapala's, Zara Spooks or similar lures are usually fantastic choices. When you are fishing topwater its good to keep a second rod handy with a worm or a crankbait tied on. Most of the time if you miss a strike on topwater and cast back right away with a worm or burn a crankbait through the same area you will connect 90% of the time.

For the fly-fisherman, spring is an excellent time to be fishing with top-water and sub-surface flies for the shallow water bass.