Old May 27th, 2007, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Niteawk

Default choice of rod weight and length

"John Fox" wrote in message

Any advice on the choice of rod weight and length for still water trout
fishing in the UK?

I am planning to get a 'posh' rod for my birthday and want to get the
right size.

John Fox

As you are asking I am going to assume you are fairly new to this, I am in
my second season as trainee water flogger.

I have tried various rods and line weights and as I am not as experienced at
casting as one should be, I hope the following advice will save you a few
bob or two.

I could not get on with a 10' #8 rod with #9 WF line, packed up after an
hour. Then I got to grips with a 9'6" #7 rod with a #7 intermediate line, a
much better outfit but I was still struggling, packing up after 2 hours.

Then I got hold of a 9' #6 rod, added a WF #7f line and I was in heaven, I
could cast this outfit all day long without hardly an effort, my casting
improved instantly. The 9' #6 rod is the best all round rod to buy IMO. It
has plenty of power for casting and enough guts for getting to grips with
the larger stillwater and reservoir trout, (if you happen to fluke one)and
the beauty of this rod means you can also use it for river fishing as well,
stick on a #6DT line and away you go.

To recap, the shorter the rod the easier it is to cast. I also got an 8'6"
#5 rod and this proved to be just as easy to cast although it lacked a bit
of distance compared to the 9' #6 rod with #7 line. Both these rods outcast
the longer versions.

The best all round rod is a 9' #6 rod, this rod will work with a #6 DT, a #7
WF and a #6 or probably #7 sinking line.