Old August 19th, 2007, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Will Wilkinson

Default Tying Rigs

In message , Tony
writes
Am using 15lb with size 10, but 2 strands won't go through the eye.
Tony

"Richard" wrote in
message ...

"Tony Fendall" wrote in message
I have just tied a few carp rigs for the first time.
There is a big problem with tying hair rigs on all but the largest
hooks, you can't thread the leader through the hook eye twice, there
isn't enough room through the eye.
Can anyone offer guidance please?
Tony

Size of the eye varies a bit but Ime with say 12/15lb you are alright
with a knotless knot down to a hook size of 10 .... probably lower if
you have better manual dexterity lol.

Richard

That's probably a bit heavy for the hook size if you're using mono (be
fine with braid). I tend to use braid for most of my carp rigs, but when
on mono I use 8-10lb for 12-8 hooks, 10-12lb for 8-6 and 15lb for 6+.
There's not much point in using very heavy line on the smaller hook
sizes as the hook will straighten far before the line breaks - I aim for
a line breaking strain that can just cause the hook to straighten before
the line breaks, except with braid when I won't go below 15lb (around
the same diameter as 5lb mono) as the very low diameter braids below
this breaking strain can cause damage to fish (they act like a cheese
wire and can cut into the fish).

BTW it's customary to bottom post on usenet, not top post, makes for
easier reading.

Will
--
lancre dot net - The personal domain of Will and Cath Wilkinson.
Send e-mail to news dot will at lancre dot net