FishingBanter

-   UK Coarse Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A fish with a chin (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=7265)

SRH November 16th, 2003 05:15 PM

A fish with a chin

I'm looking for the name for a fishthat develops a hooked lower
jaw during its breeding season, such as a trout or salmon.

I would appreciate suggestions/ pointers/ etc.

Brownz November 16th, 2003 06:07 PM

A fish with a chin

"SRH" wrote in message
. ..
I'm looking for the name for a fishthat develops a hooked lower
jaw during its breeding season, such as a trout or salmon.
I would appreciate suggestions/ pointers/ etc.

The male Atlantic salmon develops a pronounced hooked jaw (known as a
"kype").

Cheers - Brownz

Gray November 16th, 2003 07:53 PM

A fish with a chin

Have you tried Google for an answer???

the only thing is it's only Males that develop this ?? as a courtship
display

for a glossary this is useful
http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/freshwater...s/glossary.htm

--
Regards
Gray

http://www.madcaravanner.co.uk

"Brownz" wrote in message
"SRH" wrote in message
. ..
I'm looking for the name for a fishthat develops a hooked lower
jaw during its breeding season, such as a trout or salmon.
I would appreciate suggestions/ pointers/ etc.

The male Atlantic salmon develops a pronounced hooked jaw (known as a
"kype").

Cheers - Brownz

---

SRH November 18th, 2003 01:07 PM

A fish with a chin

Gray skrev:

Have you tried Google for an answer???

Yep, but I didn't know what I'm looking for. Now that I know it's
called a kype, I have been able to find out that trout develop
them, as well as salmon.

Simon R. Hughes November 18th, 2003 01:08 PM

A fish with a chin

Thus spake Brownz:

"SRH" wrote in message
. ..
I'm looking for the name for a fishthat develops a hooked lower
jaw during its breeding season, such as a trout or salmon.
I would appreciate suggestions/ pointers/ etc.

The male Atlantic salmon develops a pronounced hooked jaw (known as a
"kype").

Having searched for "kype"+"trout", I find that theirs is also
called a kype.

Thanks for the help.

--
Simon R. Hughes