FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing Tying (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Old trick for the tying bench (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=33083)

Denis Lamy[_2_] December 6th, 2008 06:46 PM

Old trick for the tying bench

Hi everyone,

Since there's not much going on in this newsgroup, why not start another
controversy about tying flies. ;-)

A trick I have on my tying bench, my tying vise actually, is a large
flat fridge magnet. It helps to keep count and hold in place the hooks
I'm using to ti a serie of flies and will ocasionnaly even hold beads in
place so they dont roll around everywhere.

I select my hooks, count them and place them flat on the magnet, which
is laid on my vise pedestal. That way my hooks are all align, I don't
have to search for them around the tying bench or get stung by one that
flew under the table. :-s

--
Hope to read you soon,

Denis
www.uqtr.ca/~lamyd

You'll have to eat the SPAM to E-mail

Greg Mingle December 7th, 2008 10:58 PM

Old trick for the tying bench

don't the hooks get magnetized?

greg

"Denis Lamy" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

Since there's not much going on in this newsgroup, why not start another
controversy about tying flies. ;-)

A trick I have on my tying bench, my tying vise actually, is a large flat
fridge magnet. It helps to keep count and hold in place the hooks I'm
using to ti a serie of flies and will ocasionnaly even hold beads in place
so they dont roll around everywhere.

I select my hooks, count them and place them flat on the magnet, which is
laid on my vise pedestal. That way my hooks are all align, I don't have to
search for them around the tying bench or get stung by one that flew under
the table. :-s

--
Hope to read you soon,

Denis
www.uqtr.ca/~lamyd

You'll have to eat the SPAM to E-mail

Denis Lamy[_2_] December 8th, 2008 03:14 PM

Greg Mingle a écrit :
don't the hooks get magnetized?

greg

Not to my knowledge.

--
Hope to read you soon,

Denis
www.uqtr.ca/~lamyd

You'll have to eat the SPAM to E-mail

Evrard Kerkhofs December 9th, 2008 01:05 PM

Old trick for the tying bench

Would that be bad, this magnetization thing?

EK

"Denis Lamy" schreef in bericht
Greg Mingle a écrit :
don't the hooks get magnetized?

greg

Not to my knowledge.

--
Hope to read you soon,

Denis
www.uqtr.ca/~lamyd

You'll have to eat the SPAM to E-mail

riverman December 9th, 2008 03:29 PM

Old trick for the tying bench

It might even be beneficial. Lateral lines work on electric impulses,
right? Maybe magnetized hooks are the next secret weapon.

--riverman

On Dec 9, 9:05*pm, "Evrard Kerkhofs"
wrote:
Would that be bad, this magnetization thing?

EK

"Denis Lamy" schreef in t...

Greg Mingle a écrit :
don't the hooks get magnetized?

greg

Not to my knowledge.

--
Hope to read you soon,

Denis
www.uqtr.ca/~lamyd

* You'll have to eat the SPAM to E-mail- Hide quoted text -

Ken Fortenberry[_2_] December 9th, 2008 03:31 PM

riverman wrote:
It might even be beneficial. Lateral lines work on electric impulses,
right? Maybe magnetized hooks are the next secret weapon.

Would you have to tie in the hooks backwards in the
southern hemisphere ? ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

george9219 December 10th, 2008 05:02 AM

Old trick for the tying bench

On Dec 9, 10:31*am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
riverman wrote:
It might even be beneficial. Lateral lines work on electric impulses,
right? Maybe magnetized hooks are the next secret weapon.

Would you have to tie in the hooks backwards in the
southern hemisphere ? ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

No, but you'd have to fish left handed, (or right, if you are left
handed), and face in the opposite direction you are fishing, so that
your back cast becomes your forward cast.
Either that, or do what I do and not worry about your hooks being
magnetized.

vincent norris December 15th, 2008 03:05 AM

Speaking of magnets....

If you suffer the misfortune of having a hard disc crash, there is a
bright side. Inside the hard drive is a magnet whose strength is hard
to believe. Far stronger than the brick-shaped magnet I got from Radio
Shack.

I attached it to a three-foot-long dowel and use it like those metal
detectors you see on the telly to pick up any hooks I've dropped.

vince

Denis Lamy[_2_] December 15th, 2008 02:42 PM

Denis Lamy a écrit :
Hi everyone,

Since there's not much going on in this newsgroup, why not start another
controversy about tying flies. ;-)

Another trick that is as old as the tying bench: the film canister
filled with steelwool. I have mine handy on the table and I leave the
cap on. My bodkin is always clean and sharp. The underside of this is
that I have to change bodkin every few years, it does get shorter. :-|

--
Hope to read you soon,

Denis
www.uqtr.ca/~lamyd

You'll have to eat the SPAM to E-mail

Tom Littleton December 15th, 2008 11:56 PM

Speaking of magnets....

"vincent norris" wrote in message
If you suffer the misfortune of having a hard disc crash, there is a
bright side. Inside the hard drive is a magnet whose strength is hard to
believe. Far stronger than the brick-shaped magnet I got from Radio
Shack.

I attached it to a three-foot-long dowel and use it like those metal
detectors you see on the telly to pick up any hooks I've dropped.

vince

great tip, Vince. And, as always, a pleasure to hear from you!!
Tom