Handling Pike

Old April 17th, 2004, 07:45 PM
caroline

Default Handling Pike

Saw something nasty today...

....family of three at the local *private* lake...all three have rods out.

Youngest lad gets a bite...takes ages to land his fish...other members of
family all watching and offering their professional opinions...

....young lad hauls in a young pike...dragging it over the edge of the
decking.

Father steps in to help. Holds the line up for admiring photos (pike is
hanging from the line & hook at this point). Its about 2ft long...so I've
no idea what the weight would have been.

elder son steps in to help unhook the beast, so younger lad *drops* the pike
onto the decking. Elder lad tentatively looks towards the mouth end and
then shoves his foot on its head. Pike is now flapping so father kicks it,
and then proceeds to stand on the tail end. In the end they're all standing
on a bit of it, and after lots of cursing, and blood (fish's) manage to get
hook out of poor thing's chops....at which point the father kicks the pike
off the deck...

I was so disgusted I got back in the car and drove home again ;o((

Surely this isn't the way pike are treated in the main, is it? My brother
and OH are specimen hunters and treat their fish with the utmost respect...

Would appreciate your thoughts...

Old April 17th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Keith Hampson

The *******s want locking up, please excuse me about me using this tone but
it gives all fisherman a bad name and more importantly think of the poor
fish that us fisherman, so much love to catch, why do some people turn their
nose up at pike, you see them left on the bank where they were left to die,
you here so called fishermen say they are eating all the other fish, Pike
have been in our waterways for thousands of years and are part of the food
chain. man should not interfere with nature, Pike eat diseased fish and
dying fish, why do people think all they eat are healthy fish, I will tell
you why, they have been misinformed, ignorant, stupid and they were fishing
their local water, had a roach on the line and a pike tried to eat it. I
wish people would think about it for one minute, other fish eat small fish..
you know Chub, Perch, Eels......... what if you went to a local water and
you saw a 6 lb Chub lying dead on the river bank and someone say to you....
well it eats other fish...........Think about it!, don't think all our
waters will be filled with Pike if you don't kill them, they control their
numbers just the same as all other fish. I am afraid if I had witnessed this
I would be doing time now, and gladly so!

Old April 17th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Alex

"caroline" wrote in message
Saw something nasty today...
Surely this isn't the way pike are treated in the main, is it? My brother
and OH are specimen hunters and treat their fish with the utmost

respect...

Would appreciate your thoughts...

Most anglers that fish for pike would certainly not treat it like this.
These morons were obviously scared of the fish thinking it would bite them
or something. The fact that they could treat any fish in this manner leads
me to believe they should not be fishing at all.
Unfortunately they do exist and can only give fishing a bad name and the
anti-fishing lobby more ammunition.

Old April 18th, 2004, 04:12 PM
spamless

In message , caroline
writes
Saw something nasty today...

elder son steps in to help unhook the beast, so younger lad *drops* the pike
onto the decking. Elder lad tentatively looks towards the mouth end and
then shoves his foot on its head. Pike is now flapping so father kicks it,
and then proceeds to stand on the tail end. In the end they're all standing
on a bit of it, and after lots of cursing, and blood (fish's) manage to get
hook out of poor thing's chops....at which point the father kicks the pike
off the deck...

I was so disgusted I got back in the car and drove home again ;o((

Surely this isn't the way pike are treated in the main, is it? My brother
and OH are specimen hunters and treat their fish with the utmost respect...

Would appreciate your thoughts...

a Pretend to be the bailiff and ask to see rod licenses etc., if they
have them record details and report the *******s !

b Kick Daddy to see how he likes it then throw him and the rest of the
fishing gear in the lake :-)

c At the first instance of anything like this step in and offer
assistance, if they take it fine if not resort to points A or B.
(preferably both)

Unfortunately this just shows there are still plenty of ignorant people
out there, acting like this they should not be any where near anything
to do with fishing of any sort.

Educate them (if that don't work then annihilate them)

--
GRD

The trouble with censorship is "quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?"
(Juvenal's Satires)
Old April 19th, 2004, 06:07 PM
caroline

"spamless" wrote

In message , caroline writes
Saw something nasty today...

[...]

The OH is something similar over here (Fisheries Inspector)...so if I could
have sneaked out with his warrant card i would have enjoyed doing this ;o))

b Kick Daddy to see how he likes it then throw him and the rest of the
fishing gear in the lake :-)

Will attend to points a & b in a min...

c At the first instance of anything like this step in and offer
assistance, if they take it fine if not resort to points A or B.
(preferably both)

Despite the fact that i grew up in a fishing family, and now live with a
keen fisherman...I know very little about *how* to do this fishing lark, and
thus I couldn't offer any practical assistance...although I knew what they
were doing was unnecessary, and in my opinion wrong, I would not have been
able to offer alternatives...other than stop kicking the poor bloody fish,
and stop stomping on it...

With regards to points a & b, if there was anybody else around i would
have most certainly said something....I'm rarely backwards in coming
forwards, if you know what I mean ;o)
However, when you're a lone female, by a lake, in the middle of nowhere,
with no-one else around...you learn to assess the situation quickly and you
don't start reading the riot act to two adult males trying to look good in
front of the boy...male posturing might well have made me the next fish
meal...;o(

Educate them (if that don't work then annihilate them)

As I said...had I not been alone their ears would still be ringing...

Old April 20th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Keith

Unfortunately, it's an age old problem with Pike fishing.

People are scared of them. And ignorant human behaviour is to be brutal
with anything they are scared of, if they can get away with it. People kill
spiders for the same reason.

Even if you didn't want to cause any trouble, you could have phoned the lake
owner, or got the reg of their car and phoned the lake owner.

Old April 20th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Terry Simms

Hi Caroline

I am a keen pike fisherman and this disgusts me as well.

Before Pike fishing it is ESSENTIAL to learn how to handle Pike.
It takes practise, which I think can only be learnt by fishing with someone
who
knows what they are doing. Unfortunatley many people go piking for the 1st
time without a thought for how they will handle the fish once on the bank.
It can be quite daunting trying to unhook a Pike if don`t know what you
are doing.

Another very important thing is to STRIKE RUNS ASAP to avoid the hooks
being swallowed down deep. It might mean a few less Pike hooked, but the
most important thing is not harm the fish.

A good place for information is the Pike Anglers of Great Britain web page
www.pacgb.com/

Also if would like to see some of the Pike I have caught please take a look
at

Regards Terry

Old April 20th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Russell

Can't condone this. I think most of the other mails express the right
feelings.

Only other comment I can offer is my experience on catching my first pike.

Like most people starting for pike, I had very little knowledge about how to
handle and unhook them. As luck would have it, my first ever pike was a
17-11 so you can imagine the thoughts about unhooking a fish of this size
but I was fortunate as a fellow angler in the next swim helped me to unhook
and safely return the fish to the water.

Several years on and several much larger pike.... I now know how to handle
them but still remember that first fish and my feeling of helplesness.

For the unexperienced, there is a fear factor involved and self preservation
(avoidance of small scratches!) tends to take over.

Having said the above - pike are rarely caught by mistake. If you are
fishing for them please learn from my early mistakes and either learn how to
hadle them or go with someone who is experienced in handling/unhooking them.

Don't throw them down the bank !

Russell

Old April 21st, 2004, 09:46 AM
Tench Ninja

Down with this sort of thing!!!!

We caught a small jack the weekend just passed, along with several others.
We are by no means inexperienced or illequiped Pike anglers.
The reason this particular jack was of interest was that we found a rusty
size 6 - 4 hook half way down the poor feckers throat. Along with the line
that was cut (possibly bitten through) mono of about 8 - 10 lb I would have
guessed.

From the rust on the hook It has been there some time, or the angler in
question is even more irresponsible using rusty hooks.

It was removed from the pikes throat very easily with a long nosed forceps,
then straight into our tackle box, so that it wont do any harm to anything
else.

For those about to take up pike fishing, or for those unsure
There is a minimum amount of equipment you need when going pike fishing and
its not the rod and your bait.
You will at the very least need
A good stronge LARGE landing net (fairly obvious what this is for)
An large forceps (for unhooking)
And Wire Traces (so that the fish doesnt bite through and break the line)

Old April 21st, 2004, 10:22 AM
Keith Hampson

"Tench Ninja" wrote in message
Down with this sort of thing!!!!

We caught a small jack the weekend just passed, along with several others.
We are by no means inexperienced or illequiped Pike anglers.
The reason this particular jack was of interest was that we found a rusty
size 6 - 4 hook half way down the poor feckers throat. Along with the line
that was cut (possibly bitten through) mono of about 8 - 10 lb I would

have
guessed.

From the rust on the hook It has been there some time, or the angler in
question is even more irresponsible using rusty hooks.

It was removed from the pikes throat very easily with a long nosed

forceps,
then straight into our tackle box, so that it wont do any harm to anything
else.

For those about to take up pike fishing, or for those unsure
There is a minimum amount of equipment you need when going pike fishing

and
its not the rod and your bait.
You will at the very least need
A good stronge LARGE landing net (fairly obvious what this is for)
An large forceps (for unhooking)
And Wire Traces (so that the fish doesnt bite through and break the line)

please use strong line too, its no good seeing a Pike in your swim and
sticking a spinner on the end of you 4 lb ledger line, you will be unlikely
to catch it, it will break the line, it will get stuck in the Pikes mouth,
properly killing it eventually, and the man said above please use correct
equipment for pike. Pike are one of the most exciting fish to catch and can
grow in excess of 60 lbs so please look after them!