Another Bamboo Rod?

Old May 10th, 2006, 11:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Another Bamboo Rod?

I guess I have become the go to guy for 'boo rods at ASU's physical plant?

One of the painters brought in a Montague rod today and asked if I wanted to
know if I was interested in it. Well not really, I said, but I would try to
find out some info about it for him.

The only thing on the rod, which doesn't do anything to identify it, is
"Genuine Tonkin." There is no length, weight, or anything else that would
identify this rods model. The rod tube--cardboard--has a label on it that
reads: Montague, 1FF Fishkill, Fly 8 1/2'. Some one wrote, BHDX on the
label. I thought this might be a weight designation, but I haven't had a
chance to look that up in my books, yet.

I'm curious if any one out there in ROFF land is familiar with Montague rod
and can tell me anything about this rod. The rod, itself, is in decent
shape, except that both tips have a set in them, one guide is missing, and
some of the thread raps are unraveling.

Thanks,

Op

Old May 10th, 2006, 11:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Mr. Opus McDopus" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Oh yeah, I have Googled Montague Rods, but couldn't find anything with the
1FF Fishkill designation?

Op

Old May 11th, 2006, 12:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Steve" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 May 2006 18:20:35 -0400, "Mr. Opus McDopus"
wrote:

The rod, itself, is in
decent shape, except that both tips have a set in them, one guide is
missing, and some of the thread raps are unraveling.

It is an unremarkable rod in unremarkable condition.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2h7gi/f...copy/id23.html
http://www.oldfishingstuff.com/september04.htm (google cache)

eBay Uncirculated condition Montague IFF Fishkill Bamboo rod (item
7239974009 end time May-13-06 113036 PDT)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Uncirculated-con...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Montague-Fishkil...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Steve, I couldn't find a thing myself. Guess that says a great deal
about my Google number?

Funny, the last ebay rod looks almost exactly like the one the guy at work
has with missing tube cap and bent tube!

Op

Old May 11th, 2006, 02:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Yo Ope,
In general, Montague rods were pretty crappy, and they don't hold much
collector value. I have a Montague Red Wing, which was their top of the line
rod, and it isn't much to write home about. The Fishkill started off in the
middle of the Montague line up, but by the time they stopped producing
bamboo rods it had migrated close to the top of their line, selling for
about thirty bucks in the 1950's. It would be a rod worth having if it
belonged to you grandfather or something, but in the condition you describe,
I wouldn't give $25 for it. (Are the wraps green with gold tipping?)

Old May 11th, 2006, 01:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Mr. Opus McDopus typed:
[...]

I've seen them on ebay from time to time, several of them selling for low
dollars and others not selling at all. I'm not sure what the BHDX means, but
the old designation for 6wt line is HD (HDH for DT and HDG for WF).
--
TL,
Tim

Old May 11th, 2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Charlie Wilson" wrote in message
. ..
Yo Ope,
In general, Montague rods were pretty crappy, and they don't hold much
collector value. I have a Montague Red Wing, which was their top of the

line
rod, and it isn't much to write home about. The Fishkill started off in

the
middle of the Montague line up, but by the time they stopped producing
bamboo rods it had migrated close to the top of their line, selling for
about thirty bucks in the 1950's. It would be a rod worth having if it
belonged to you grandfather or something, but in the condition you

describe,
I wouldn't give $25 for it. (Are the wraps green with gold tipping?)

Yeah, I showed him the info that Steve provided and had told him that I
thought that the rod might be worth $50 tops.

I don't recall the wraps, other than that they were comin' loose.

I have a South Bend, in excellent condition and a Heddon #115, which I can't
find out too much of anything about? I think the Heddon was one of the
models that sold thru Sears or some other outlets? I never intend to sell
them, as they were acquired by my father.

Thanks,

Op

Old May 12th, 2006, 12:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Opie" wrote:
I have a South Bend, in excellent condition and a Heddon #115, which I
can't
find out too much of anything about? I think the Heddon was one of the
models that sold thru Sears or some other outlets? I never intend to sell
them, as they were acquired by my father.

The Heddon #115 and #125 were made in the 50's and sold exclusively
through Sears. There seem to be a lot of them still around and in pretty
good shape.