Alternative uses for tying gear?

Old April 30th, 2004, 03:20 PM
riverman

Default Alternative uses for tying gear?

A little OT, but I was thinking today of how much I like to sit in front of
my vice, tying little elegant flies. Its such a relaxing and productive
thing, sort of like doing artwork. Unfortunately, it all feels a bit
incomplete unless I get to fish the flies, to see if they actually work, and
I just don't get enough chances to do that. So my tying is pretty limited: 5
or 8 different flies a couple of times a month, maybe.

So I was wondering if anyone has found other things they could tie with
their tying skills. I was imagining something like ornate earrings for
gifts, or something like that. I know a lot of folks tie up flies for shadow
boxes, etc, but I was thinking of branching out. The idea of earrings seems
intriguing...maybe even broaches or something. Any thoughts, anyone?

--riverman

Old April 30th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Tim J.

"riverman" wrote...
A little OT, but I was thinking today of how much I like to sit in front of
my vice, tying little elegant flies. Its such a relaxing and productive
thing, sort of like doing artwork. Unfortunately, it all feels a bit
incomplete unless I get to fish the flies, to see if they actually work, and
I just don't get enough chances to do that. So my tying is pretty limited: 5
or 8 different flies a couple of times a month, maybe.

So I was wondering if anyone has found other things they could tie with
their tying skills. I was imagining something like ornate earrings for
gifts, or something like that. I know a lot of folks tie up flies for shadow
boxes, etc, but I was thinking of branching out. The idea of earrings seems
intriguing...maybe even broaches or something. Any thoughts, anyone?

I make doilies and little drink parasols on mine. ;-)

Methinks you're talking sacrilege here, Myron. Why don't you get into tying
super fancy salmon flies or something?
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 30th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Bill P

"riverman" wrote in message
[...]

Some years ago I took some of the grand-kids' hair and made flies with it.
They (the boys) were small, all 4 of them, so now I have a lock of each
boy's hair on a size 10 hook on static display near their Grandma's pix of
each of them.
Each fly was based on a Wulff hair wing pattern and thread color was the
color of the shirt each boy was wearing in their first posed picture. It
went over so well, I set up a little table at a local swap meet for $7 (cost
for the day) and tied over 100 flies using kids' hair at two bucks each...
the parents couldn't get enuff of it...
Works best around Easter and Xmas... Phoenix gets too hot in the summer
for this kinda stuff...
have fun!
Bill

Old April 30th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Bob Weinberger

"riverman" wrote in message
snip
So I was wondering if anyone has found other things they could tie with
their tying skills. I was imagining something like ornate earrings for
gifts, or something like that. I know a lot of folks tie up flies for

shadow
boxes, etc, but I was thinking of branching out. The idea of earrings

seems
intriguing...maybe even broaches or something. Any thoughts, anyone?

--riverman

A few years ago I had the same thought, and tied up some flies for earings
for my daughter. She loved them. Upon seeing them, my secretary and wife
each also asked for a pair. Pretty soon, due to demand, I ended up making
them for all the women in the office. I also made up some for use as
pendants on small chian necklaces that were popular.
My secratary's small daughter on seeing her wear the earings, asked
her -"Mommy doesn't that tickle?"

Fancy steelhead/salmon type patterns were the most popular, though I never
was ambitious or good enough to tie classic salmon fly patterns.

Flushed with their popularity, I made up a bunch of them, packaged them
nicely, labeled them "Fishing for Compliments", and put them in several gift
shops and the flyshop in town on consignment @ $10.00/pair. Though I sold
20 or so, it was quite apparent that this was not an enterprise that would
help me retire early.

It is quite easy to make flies into jewelery.
1. Generally size 4-8 Salmon/steelhead hooks look best.
2. Snip the point off the hook and super glue a small bead (brass or silver
color) over the point and barb.
3. If making pierced ear type earings, use "French wire" loops (available in
most craft shops) through the hook eye.

Bob Weinberger
La, Grande, OR

place a dot between bobs and stuff and remove invalid to send email

Old May 1st, 2004, 01:51 AM
Sum Ting Wong

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:15:19 GMT, "Bob Weinberger"
wrote:

A few years ago I had the same thought, and tied up some flies for earings
for my daughter.

Barbless hooks, I hope! ; )

s.t.w.
Old May 1st, 2004, 02:42 PM
slenon

Hunters' fly tying catalog contains some large brooch size salmon hooks,
with a pin and clasp added along with a silver bead on the point. They are
designed for jewelry type flies and should make great hat pins with the
right fly on them

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Dark Star

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Jeff Miller

hmmm... hares ear earrings. you could use ear hair... most over on roff
have a heady supply. g

jeff (ever helpful to the artist and entrepreneur alike)