bear attack in Alaska

Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default bear attack in Alaska

Warning: There's seriously gruesome photo in this article.

http://mountainsurvival.com/news_art...earattack.html

Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"rw" wrote ...
Warning: There's seriously gruesome photo in this article.

http://mountainsurvival.com/news_art...earattack.html

Sorta:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearhunt.asp

Dan

Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default bear attacked in Alaska

Daniel-San wrote:
"rw" wrote ...
Warning: There's seriously gruesome photo in this article.

http://mountainsurvival.com/news_art...earattack.html

Sorta:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearhunt.asp

LOL !! I've made the Subject: more appropriate. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"rw" wrote in message
k.net...
Warning: There's seriously gruesome photo in this article.

http://mountainsurvival.com/news_art...earattack.html

Yup. I doubt hollering "hey bear" a few times would have chased him away.
BTW Dave, did you say 15 feet?

--
Ric Hamel
A misplaced Alaskan lost in ConUS

Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:42:51 GMT, "Alaskan420"
wrote:

Yup. I doubt hollering "hey bear" a few times would have chased him away.
BTW Dave, did you say 15 feet?

You saw the pictures. Yes, 15 feet from a feeding sow and her cubs.

You will notice in all that I have said that the bears, regardless
their size, were not interested in us because they had plenty to eat
with the salmon. Plus, the salmon eating bears of Katmai are used to
seeing humans. That big honker was looking for food and there aren't
too many salmon around in late October. People make wonderful snacks
at that time of the year. Also, the picture of the half eaten man has
nothing to do with the big bear shown in the photos. Barnard would
like everyone to think that the bear pictured killed said man. Ain't
true. Two entirely different cases.

It does bring out one funny thing (besides the phony picture
connection) that bear spray and a pistol are not going to help you
avoiid death. You run into a monster like that, you can kiss your ass
goodbye unless you have a hunting rifle.

Dave
Procedure went fine. I'm a perfect asshole.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

dplacourse wrote ...

Procedure went fine. I'm a perfect asshole.

Glad to hear it. Not fun, but not horrible, either -- so long as the results
are good, I suppose.

Dan

Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:42:51 GMT, "Alaskan420"

Also, the picture of the half eaten man has
nothing to do with the big bear shown in the photos. Barnard would
like everyone to think that the bear pictured killed said man. Ain't
true. Two entirely different cases.

I've been told that, as far as getting eaten goes, black bears are a bigger
problem than griz. Griz attacks tend to be more territorial, black bear
attacks, while rare, tend to be predatory. I guess its possible to survive
a griz attack by the old fetal position if ALL else fails, but with a black
you'd better think of something else. I have no idea if thats true for the
Alaskan Brown bear (their version of the griz)

It does bring out one funny thing (besides the phony picture
connection) that bear spray and a pistol are not going to help you
avoiid death. You run into a monster like that, you can kiss your ass
goodbye unless you have a hunting rifle.

I'm pretty comfortable with things that go bang- what I've read is if your
hunting bear in AK, the guides up there don't like to see you with anything
lighter than a .375 h&h. The 7mm, .308, .338 cal's don't leave a big enough
hole for all the blood to leak out of fast enough. I'd sure hate to have a
****ed off one comming at me even if I had S&W .500. Have to be either a
real lucky shot, or enough noise to make him/her stop or turn.

Dave
Procedure went fine. I'm a perfect asshole.

very glad to hear it Dave.

jh

Old June 24th, 2006, 12:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

John Hightower wrote:

I'm pretty comfortable with things that go bang- what I've read is if your
hunting bear in AK, the guides up there don't like to see you with anything
lighter than a .375 h&h. The 7mm, .308, .338 cal's don't leave a big enough
hole for all the blood to leak out of fast enough. I'd sure hate to have a
****ed off one comming at me even if I had S&W .500. Have to be either a
real lucky shot, or enough noise to make him/her stop or turn.

I, for one, will not turn down an offer of free bear spray, but I'm not
deluding myself that bear spray would have stopped that monster.

I just don't want to be in the position of thinking, "****. I should
have taken that bear spray."

I regret credulously posting a link to a half-true story. That gory
picture of the ex-hiker was irresistible.

Old June 24th, 2006, 12:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

John Hightower wrote:
wrote in message

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:42:51 GMT, "Alaskan420"

Also, the picture of the half eaten man has
nothing to do with the big bear shown in the photos. Barnard would
like everyone to think that the bear pictured killed said man. Ain't
true. Two entirely different cases.

I've been told that, as far as getting eaten goes, black bears are a bigger
problem than griz. Griz attacks tend to be more territorial, black bear
attacks, while rare, tend to be predatory. I guess its possible to survive
a griz attack by the old fetal position if ALL else fails, but with a black
you'd better think of something else. I have no idea if thats true for the
Alaskan Brown bear (their version of the griz)

That bear was huge. He must have been old. Maybe he had bad teeth, or a
broken bone, or was really, really ****ed off about not scoring with the
sows because some young stud kicked his ass. Maybe offing some arrogant
hairless bipedal ape seemed like a really good idea at the time.

Whatever. The point is that brown bears aren't cut out with a
bear-shaped cookie cutter. They come in all different colors of
personality and circumstance. The mere fact that even an immature one
can tear you to pieces in seconds should at least give you pause.