Recommendations for starter fly-tying.

Old March 29th, 2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

Default Recommendations for starter fly-tying.

I earlier posted Altering Dry Flies to Wet Flies question, and
some suggested that I start to learn to tie the flies to get a better
understanding.
I think they're right.
recommendations for starter fly-tying?
Kits? Purchasing items separate? Books?
-tom

Old March 29th, 2007, 06:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mar 29, 6:55 pm, "Tom Nakashima" wrote:
I earlier posted Altering Dry Flies to Wet Flies question, and
some suggested that I start to learn to tie the flies to get a better
understanding.
I think they're right.
recommendations for starter fly-tying?
Kits? Purchasing items separate? Books?
-tom

Have a look here;

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/

It will tell you all you need to know to get started.

TL
MC

Old March 29th, 2007, 06:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Tom Nakashima wrote:
I earlier posted Altering Dry Flies to Wet Flies question, and
some suggested that I start to learn to tie the flies to get a better
understanding.
I think they're right.
recommendations for starter fly-tying?
Kits? Purchasing items separate? Books?

Most folks recommend staying away from the kits because the
tools are often second-rate and you get a lot of materials
you'll never use.

Do a Google group search of rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
with the word "beginner", you'll get lots of good info.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in news:eugr19$q3v$1
@news.Stanford.EDU:

I earlier posted Altering Dry Flies to Wet Flies question, and
some suggested that I start to learn to tie the flies to get a better
understanding.
I think they're right.
recommendations for starter fly-tying?
Kits? Purchasing items separate? Books?
-tom

Tom--

Start with a reliable vise, a good ceramic bobbin, a bodkin, some
scissors, hackle pliers, and a whip finish tool. Buy any book by Skip
Morris, probably "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple" would be best. I can
honestly say that his "Art of Tying the Dry Fly" was probably the best of
about four books that I went through during my early self teaching days,
and the one that made the biggest difference when I found it.

Buy the materials necessary to tie the first two flies in the Nymph
Chapter and the first two flies in the dry fly chapter, and the material
to tie any two flies that you've been wanting to tie on your own.

Try to buy a dubbing assortment for dries, and one for nymphs. These
will come in kits that run about $10-$15 each, I think.

For dry fly hackle, you might think of buying some Whiting 100-packs in
the appropriate size and color, but push comes to shove, a Whiting neck
or half neck in silver or bronze grade is probably your best bang for the
buck that will offer any sort of wide range in hackle size.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Tom Nakashima" wrote

recommendations for starter fly-tying?
Kits? Purchasing items separate? Books?

You've already gotten some good advice, Tom

I'll add .... quality materials

But there is a Catch22 ...... beginners don't 'really' know what quality is
yet

The suggestion I always give is to pick a fly you want to tie ( start with
wets/nymphs, they are easier ) and buy ONLY the materials for those specific
flies ... have your fly shop help you select the specific piece, not all
peacock is created equal for instance.

I once had Craig Mathews pick out a piece of deer hair for Sparkle Duns down
to 20s for me and explain his thinking as he did so ... volumes more info on
deer hair in 6 or 7 minutes than in all the books I've read ( and that be
plenty ) .... ask your shop guy to explain the whys of his picks ... if he
can't, find a shop that honestly caters to tiers ... many don't even though
they stock materials

IF you can't find a place locally, try calling BRF in West Yellowstone ( no
I don't get a kickback :-) ... tell them exactly what patterns/size you want
to tie and trust them to pick materials ... every single person in that
shop is a skilled and experienced tier ...they started business as a tiers
marketing co-op and "shop" came along later. I have Bay Area affections
and allegiances and I wait to buy say wading boots from my local shop, when
possible, but I also wait to buy materials in West

Oh, one more plug ... if you are seeking CDC .... TroutHunter in Last
Chance, Id. ( again they have a phone and can be trusted :-) there just
isn't any comparison to CDC you'll find elsewhere

Old March 29th, 2007, 06:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BJ Conner

On Mar 29, 9:55 am, "Tom Nakashima" wrote:
I earlier posted Altering Dry Flies to Wet Flies question, and
some suggested that I start to learn to tie the flies to get a better
understanding.
I think they're right.
recommendations for starter fly-tying?
Kits? Purchasing items separate? Books?
-tom

Go over to the electronics lab and steal a set of these. Best hackle
pliers made.
http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pro...0B01802085E17F

In addition start with the material to tie 2 or 3 patterns and tie and
tie and tie.

Old March 29th, 2007, 06:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
briansfly

Scott Seidman wrote:
[...]

IMHO, spot on advice. The only thing I might add is, Tom, go to the
casting club. Tell someone you're interested in getting started in fly
tying. Someone is bound to take you under their wing. You'll most likely
get some good, firsthand instruction....and maybe some free stuff too. ;-)

brians

Old March 29th, 2007, 07:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Tom Nakashima" wrote

Books?
-tom

VIDEOS .... most shops rent videos and DVDs ( 'mine' does ) and seeing is
much easier to understand than reading, even reading w/pictures .... just
starting the thread on the hook can be confusing from words alone.

Specifics? Boy my favs would reflect my fishing and may not be appropriate
.... Mike Lawson's "tying for spring creeks and tailwaters" and Rene Harrop's
" mayfly or caddis life sequence" .... neither title is accurate but I'm too
lazy to go get them and look and you can find them by "author"

A basic "Fly tying for beginners" title would be a better start ... again
ask the shop, that's why those guys make the big bucks g