Summer time shore fishing, help!

Old June 25th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Michael Luka

Default Summer time shore fishing, help!

Hello
Is there any good methods for catching large mouth when its roughly 85
degrees and sunny in the afternoon from the shore in a lake? My guess is
they are in the deep waters that I wont be able to get to from the shore, I
never seem to have much luck on days like this.

Thanks

Old June 25th, 2004, 09:25 AM
G. M. Zimmermann

You can catch bass from shore, under the circumstances you mentioned, if not as
many as from a boat. Here are some things that will help:
1. Fish cover such as lilly pads, weed beds, floating mats of weeds, stumps,
brush piles, fallen trees, etc.
2. Fish are more likely to be in an area with access to deeper water, such as
near a drop-off or creek channel.
(note: these first to things are almost a must for successful shore fishing in
my opinion. I catch next to nothing from areas with large expanses of shallow
water with little or no cover)
3. Fish early morning or late evening, or other low light periods such as
heavy overcast.
4. Fish right before a storm or front hits. The best fishing I have ever had
was on hot muggy afternoons when I could hear thunder rumbling in the distance.
However, once the storm hits, the fishing is over, the fish will move to
deeper water, so run for the car before it hits.
Hope this helps.

-Zimmy
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:56 PM
RichG

A totally over-looked shoreline strategy is to wade. If you can get a
proper handle on the bottom conditions, wading, even with just gym shoes and
jeans, can be a truly wonderful experience. It even cools you off.

You can cast back towards shore or out towards weeds. Until you really know
your location, of course, wear a life vest and carry a walking rod. Get an
old belt and put a piece of cut-up pvc into it to hold your rod. Look in the
magazines and catalogs and you will see the "professional" rodholders. You
can make one for pennies with a scrap of pvc.

Another, equally important issue....the fish can "hear" you walking from
many, many, yards away on land. I live on a small pond and I can see the
fish scurrying away as I walk to the shore. They start moving when I step
off of my deck, which is at least twenty feet from the water.

Walk softly and carry a short rod. Pitch and cast into any cover. The
biggest fish lie in 4 or 5 inches of water as long as it is in the shade or
covered with floating debris. If I had an area that looked good, I'd wade
to it from far away, and fish into it. If I couldn't wade, I'd still be
standing 100 feet to one side, and work my way up towards it slowly. One
STEP at a time. I'd use very light, non-disturbing lures. Plastic worms,
tubes and maybe a small floating Rapala on a light spinning line. Any
disturbance may scare the fish off and it is a long walk to the next good
area.
--
RichG TX - WI
manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN

Old June 25th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Michael Luka

Default Soft Plastic Bait

I never seem to have any success with rubber worms or lizards and such.
Whats the best method for using them? I tried to set up a carolina rig
according to a directional picture I seen. I could not find beeds at the
local bait shop so I just did without and still no luck. Thanks

Old June 25th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Rodney

Michael Luka wrote:

I never seem to have any success with rubber worms or lizards and such.
Whats the best method for using them? I tried to set up a carolina rig
according to a directional picture I seen. I could not find beeds at the
local bait shop so I just did without and still no luck. Thanks

Buy your beads at WalMArt, in their craft department,, Although I rarely
use them when Carolina rigging,, well something I never do any more,
anyway. I have caught many, many, bass fishing that way though, and
fish """"SLOW"""", that will help you more than anything,, more the worm
slowly, then pause, wait, and do it again. If your going as slow as you
think possible,, slow down some more, that ain't slow enough.

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Old June 25th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Michael Luka

Thanks, im about to hit up a lake now and theres a major thunderstorm
comming through in about 2 hours, so im gonna follow your advice and the
advice of the guy above me and test my luck. Thanks alot for your help
everyone!

Old June 25th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Richard Berke

What do you recommend from shore when there's dense algae/weed mats
close to most of the accessible shore?

If I cast past them to the open water, then I'm retrieving back into
the slop and getting stuck. If I try, I get a glob of weed stuff even
when rigged 'weedless'; it gathers at the weight/hook-eye/top of worm
area.

Should I try a heavy enough weight (1/4 oz? 3/8?) to get a worm to
sink through it? If so, then what? I can't pull through the mats and
keep the lure in the water and along the bottom.

Do you have success casting weightless thick stick worms on top of the
weeds, and twitch retrieve them? I've tried this, but never had a
bite so far. I may be way too quick, but I think maybe there aren't
bass under the areas I'm trying.

Are there some good articles to help with 'slop' conditions you can
point me to?

Thanks,
Richard Berke
Columbia, MD
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Bob Rickard

Only one thing can keep you from catching fish on soft plastics: a lack of
patience.

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

Old June 25th, 2004, 11:07 PM

Well, it's time to be creative. You might carefully check out wading --
a lake I am thinking of you can wade several feet beyond the muck and
still be in thigh deep water.

You could try raking some open areas in the dense muck -- this will
spook the fish -- but come back and fish the openings later.

Some muck fishermen tie as much as 1 ounce on their rigs to really punch
through the muck -- but that can be slow work.

Snagless critter lures such as sum frogs, scum rats and such can be drug
across the surface of the stuff ---- often dragging to the edge and
then letting it slide off will draw a strike.

Finally, think about a belly boat or float tube -- $75 and you are out
beyond the muck and dont need to worry much about the depth.

Old June 26th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Marty

"Michael Luka" wrote in message
Hello
Is there any good methods for catching large mouth when its roughly 85
degrees and sunny in the afternoon from the shore in a lake? My guess is
they are in the deep waters that I wont be able to get to from the shore,

never seem to have much luck on days like this.

I agree with what Zimmy said. Just want to add that my shore fishing areas
do not offer visible cover or structure to target, so I catch my fish by
keeping on the move and covering as much water as I can and using a variety
of baits. At this one pond, most of my bigger fish come on sunny days. The
water temp is more important than the air temp.

Good luck.