Montauk Sportfishing Report 9/6/05

Old September 6th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Capt Gene Kelly

Default Montauk Sportfishing Report 9/6/05

8/30/05

It's kind of hard to believe, but all three of this years three day weekends
had great weather. It makes me a little nervous, because I always feel that
we will have to pay for good weather with the reverse.

During the week the offshore fishing was restricted a bit by the weather,
but as the weekend approached, the winds moderated and the boats were able
to get out to the vicinity of fifty fathoms, and they caught tuna. The tuna
fishing is a bit frustrating though because of a lack of consistency. As one
charter captain put it "one day a hero, and the next a zero" And, you can
get back to the dock only to find out that you were only 6-7 miles away from
a bonanza.

The shark fishing though is very consistent, if not spectacular. Big and
medium bluesharks and small makos, with occasional nice sized ones. Just
about every boat does the same, three or four sharks, and not very far out,
fifteen to twenty miles max.

Inshore the fluke fishing continues to wind down. I remember years ago Labor
Day weekend was the peak of the big fluke season. One trip stands out in my
mind. We had spent the day slamming the Cartwright bluefish and on the way
in made one drift for fluke. In that one drift we had four fluke of 10-1/2,
10, 9-1/2 and 7 pounds. Now most of the big fish are caught in the spring.
You can still get occasional doormats now, but you have to have a lot of
patience. The FLYING CLOUD is out of the fluke business for the rest of the
year and now it's all porgies all the time. LAZYBONES would probably like to
switch over to diamond jigging except that it doesn't seem like it would be
very consistent yet.

Striped bass fishing seems to be slowly improving, plus there are good
amounts of bluefish around at times, much to the dismay of those using the
live porgies.

If you ever wanted to fish at Tropic Star Lodge in Panama but couldn't get
in because it was already fully booked, here's your chance. I have clients
booked there next March who have had to cancel because of the hurricane. If
you would like to take over their booking, give me a call, anytime.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at . And for more information about
fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http.//www.montauksportfishing.com.

--

I'm having trouble with receiving e-mails, and it seems to be that I don't
receive e-mails that are sent as replies. Instead of hitting "Reply" it

Capt Gene Kelly
Montauk Sportfishing - 800 377 1197
Tropical Fishing Adventures - 800 280 5565
631 668 2019
FAX 631 668 2040