Adams by Da

Old June 1st, 2007, 06:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Da[_2_]

Default Adams by Da

Today, I tied the classic fly pattern adams.
Here is the picture http://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.versacorp.cn/Adams
Hook: Mustad 539 12# (same as Dai-Riki 320 12#)
Wing: grey hackle tips tied over the body
Tail: grey and brown hackle barbs
Hackle: grey and brown

This one is the eighth adams I tied today. I have found the wing is a
little longer. I have tried my best to use the smallest rooster neck
feather. Could you guys tell me any other things I should pay
attention to? Thanks

Old June 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Bob Weinberger

"Da" wrote in message
oups.com...
Today, I tied the classic fly pattern adams.
Here is the picture http://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.versacorp.cn/Adams
Hook: Mustad 539 12# (same as Dai-Riki 320 12#)
Wing: grey hackle tips tied over the body
Tail: grey and brown hackle barbs
Hackle: grey and brown

This one is the eighth adams I tied today. I have found the wing is a
little longer. I have tried my best to use the smallest rooster neck
feather. Could you guys tell me any other things I should pay
attention to? Thanks

Other than the wing needing to be shorter by about 1/3, its not a bad
looking tie. With wings that long, the fly will tend to spin when being
cast, and will likely twist the leader. Although the body of an Adams is
usually done with grey dubbing (commonly muskrat underfur) the body material
you used looks passable.

When seeking good hackle feathers. check out the whole skin Seek skins that
include the neck right up onto the head. The smallest stiffest hackle
feathers will be found on and near the head.

Bob Weinberger La Grande, OR

Old June 1st, 2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
daytripper

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:04:27 -0700, rw
wrote:

Bob Weinberger wrote:
"Da" wrote in message
oups.com...

Today, I tied the classic fly pattern adams.
Here is the picture http://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.versacorp.cn/Adams
Hook: Mustad 539 12# (same as Dai-Riki 320 12#)
Wing: grey hackle tips tied over the body
Tail: grey and brown hackle barbs
Hackle: grey and brown

This one is the eighth adams I tied today. I have found the wing is a
little longer. I have tried my best to use the smallest rooster neck
feather. Could you guys tell me any other things I should pay
attention to? Thanks

Other than the wing needing to be shorter by about 1/3, its not a bad
looking tie. With wings that long, the fly will tend to spin when being
cast, and will likely twist the leader. Although the body of an Adams is
usually done with grey dubbing (commonly muskrat underfur) the body material
you used looks passable.

IMO, wings on an Adams are a cosmetic anachronism -- the fish don't see
them. They're a PITA to tie in, and they can cause the tippet to twist,
as you point out. At best, they make it easier for the angler to see the
fly on the water, but a hi-vis antron post would work better.

Is an Adams ties sans wings still an Adams?

Soitenly! It's a "Spent And Left For Dead Adams"....

/daytripper
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
sandy

Da wrote:
Today, I tied the classic fly pattern adams.

Good looking fly DA. The wings and tail might
be a bit long. Here are two other ties to compare with:

http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...rks/Adams.html

http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...ve/Adams2.html

Old June 1st, 2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

"Da" wrote in message
oups.com...
Today, I tied the classic fly pattern adams.
Here is the picture http://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.versacorp.cn/Adams
Hook: Mustad 539 12# (same as Dai-Riki 320 12#)
Wing: grey hackle tips tied over the body
Tail: grey and brown hackle barbs
Hackle: grey and brown

This one is the eighth adams I tied today. I have found the wing is a
little longer. I have tried my best to use the smallest rooster neck
feather. Could you guys tell me any other things I should pay
attention to? Thanks

I'm not a very accomplished tier and my Adams looks a great deal like your.

However, it catches trout just like most all of the flyz I have tied.

If your interest is in impressing fly tiers, you'll tie flyz to
specifications. If your interest is in catching trout or other fish, you'll
keep on tying what works for you.

Op

Old June 1st, 2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

"Opus--Mark H. Bowen" wrote in message

I'm not a very accomplished tier and my Adams looks a great deal like
your.

However, it catches trout just like most all of the flyz I have tied.

If your interest is in impressing fly tiers, you'll tie flyz to
specifications. If your interest is in catching trout or other fish,
you'll keep on tying what works for you.

Op

Oh yeah, I like your tie, btw!

Op

Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
rw

wrote:

Is an Adams ties sans wings still an Adams?

Soitenly! It's a "Spent And Left For Dead Adams"....

/daytripper

The next time I see an Adam's hatch I'll think about that.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tim J.

rw typed:
Bob Weinberger wrote:
"Da" wrote in message
oups.com...

Today, I tied the classic fly pattern adams.
Here is the picture
http://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.versacorp.cn/Adams Hook: Mustad 539
12# (same as Dai-Riki 320 12#) Thread: grey
[...]

I don't know, but that's the only way I tie them now - no wings. I
haven't seen any different reaction from the fish.
--
TL,
Tim

Old June 5th, 2007, 02:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Niteawk

"rw" wrote in message
m...
Bob Weinberger wrote:

[...]