Please help identify this fish--Pickerel or pike

Old July 9th, 2006, 02:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
[email protected]

Default Please help identify this fish--Pickerel or pike

I caught this 24", 5lb fish on a worm/sliding sinker. My guess is
redfin pickerel, but it seems kind of large for a pickerel. Can anyone
identify this fish for me?

Thanks!

Pic of the fish is at:

http://earlsklein.com/images/pickerelmaybe

Old July 9th, 2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
HopalongHowie

wrote:
I caught this 24", 5lb fish on a worm/sliding sinker. My guess is
redfin pickerel, but it seems kind of large for a pickerel. Can anyone
identify this fish for me?

Thanks!

Pic of the fish is at:

http://earlsklein.com/images/pickerelmaybe

Your guess is right a red fin aka chain pickerel...Found this picture
of one just to confirm my suspision.

http://aged.ces.uga.edu/2004cds/cd1/...n_pickerel.jpg

Tight lines

Howie

Old July 9th, 2006, 05:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Mean Old Man

On 8 Jul 2006 18:26:08 -0700, wrote:

I caught this 24", 5lb fish on a worm/sliding sinker. My guess is
redfin pickerel, but it seems kind of large for a pickerel. Can anyone
identify this fish for me?

Thanks!

Pic of the fish is at:

http://earlsklein.com/images/pickerelmaybe

Looks like a redfin to me. Ours a lot small than that though

SEE Ya!

MOM

Visit my photo site. Over 1000 Royalty Free Photos.

Click on the Thumbnails for the full size photo.
Featuring Scenic, Nature, and Strange photos.
Updated Daily. Yes Daily. And the Pix are Free.

http://mom357.photosite.com/
Old July 9th, 2006, 03:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
David H. Lipman

From: "HopalongHowie"

| Your guess is right a red fin aka chain pickerel...Found this picture
| of one just to confirm my suspision.
|
| http://aged.ces.uga.edu/2004cds/cd1/...n_pickerel.jpg
|
| Tight lines
|
| Howie

Yepper ! Chain Pickerel.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old July 11th, 2006, 06:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Jon Splane

wrote:

I caught this 24", 5lb fish on a worm/sliding sinker. My guess is
redfin pickerel, but it seems kind of large for a pickerel. Can anyone
identify this fish for me?

Thanks!

Pic of the fish is at:

http://earlsklein.com/images/pickerelmaybe

Definitely a chain pickeral and not a redfin. Redfin have different
markings and very rarely exceed a pound in weight.

Jon
Old July 11th, 2006, 06:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Mean Old Man

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:28:01 -0700, Jon Splane wrote:

wrote:

I caught this 24", 5lb fish on a worm/sliding sinker. My guess is
redfin pickerel, but it seems kind of large for a pickerel. Can anyone
identify this fish for me?

Thanks!

Pic of the fish is at:

http://earlsklein.com/images/pickerelmaybe

Definitely a chain pickeral and not a redfin. Redfin have different
markings and very rarely exceed a pound in weight.

Jon

I didn't know about the different markings, but I have never seen a
redfin THAT big. That's why the line about ours being a lot smaller
than that though in my reply.

Thanx for the clarification.

Old July 11th, 2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
David H. Lipman

From: "Mean Old Man"

| On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:28:01 -0700, Jon Splane wrote:

| I didn't know about the different markings, but I have never seen a
| redfin THAT big. That's why the line about ours being a lot smaller
| than that though in my reply.
|
| Thanx for the clarification.
|
| See Ya!
|
| MOM

The size of a particular species of fish may vary depending upon its environment.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old July 12th, 2006, 12:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Jon Splane

From: "Mean Old Man"

| On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:28:01 -0700, Jon Splane wrote:

| I didn't know about the different markings, but I have never seen a
| redfin THAT big. That's why the line about ours being a lot smaller
| than that though in my reply.
|
| Thanx for the clarification.
|
| See Ya!
|
| MOM

The size of a particular species of fish may vary depending upon its environment.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

See http://myfwc.com/Fishing/Fishes/pickerels.html

Jon
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
David H. Lipman

From: "Jon Splane"

| See http://myfwc.com/Fishing/Fishes/pickerels.html
|
| Jon

OK I saw 2 writeups, RedFin and Chain pickerel.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm