OT-Wolfgang Recipes

Old December 17th, 2003, 01:51 AM
SnakeFiddler

Default OT-Wolfgang Recipes

Hey Mr. Wolfe,
My neighbor is moving out and she gave me a bunch of wonderful cooking
spices and such. Among them can be found; liquid smoke, Creole gumbo file',
blackened meat seasoning, and black peppercorns.
I take it you are the "resident" chef on Roff, and thought you might have
some ideas how I could use these things- I have chicken breasts and pork
chops in the freezer...

Snakefiddler- in possession of your wicked looking meatloaf recipe...

Old December 17th, 2003, 02:58 AM
SnakeFiddler

"asadi" Wrote:
Put in, mix well, heat, eat...

Sounds like my kind of recipe- easy :-)

Snakefiddler

Old December 17th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Wayne Knight

"SnakeFiddler" wrote in message
Hey Mr. Wolfe,
My neighbor is moving out and she gave me a bunch of wonderful cooking
spices and such. Among them can be found; liquid smoke, Creole gumbo

file',
blackened meat seasoning, and black peppercorns.
I take it you are the "resident" chef on Roff, and thought you might have
some ideas how I could use these things- I have chicken breasts and pork
chops in the freezer...

Now Ms Fiddler, mr Wolfe might think of himself as the guardian of all
things cookable, he does however remain a cheesehead of german origin. Ain't
no cheesehead (nor some guy from Urbana IL) gonna know what to do with a
bottle of file'.

First you toss the bottle of liquid smoke in the trash. Ain't no self
respecting Carolinian ever gonna even try and imitate grilled food on the
stove by adding "smoke".

The blackened meat seasonings are meant for just that. Made "famous" by some
imitation cajun cook in New Orleans for cooking steaks and redfish (new
orleans is creole for goodness sake!) Basic technique involves a cast iron
skillet, heat the thing as hot as your stove and you can stand it, coat the
meat to be cooked with the seasonings and drop them in the skillet, they
sizzle and blacken sealing in the juices, turn them over and do the same
with the other side. If you like your meat products a little more cooked in
the middle, i would suggest a little "regular" cooking beforehand.

The file' is used in gumbo. Gumbo is to cajuns what a brunswick stew is to
low country barbecues. One must start with a roux, made my heating oil,
flour, and spices together (again in a cast iron skillet), chicken stock,
okra, chicken, fish, shrimp, sausage, or any other meat one might or might
not want with some celery, onions, or anything else for that matter along
with some cayene, black pepper, and of course file'. In my family we add the
file's in the individual servings. There many variations of the gumbo
recipes but would be happy to email you the variety my dear now departed
grandmother made for me on more than one occasion.

Wayne, not to be confused with Wayno, or the other guy from Virginia named
Wayne who won't use his last name, Knight

Old December 17th, 2003, 03:33 AM
SnakeFiddler

Thank you Mr. Knight-
I will have blackened chicken for dinner tomorrow!!

Snakefiddler-

Old December 17th, 2003, 03:36 AM
Tim Carter

First you toss the bottle of liquid smoke in the trash. Ain't no self
respecting Carolinian ever gonna even try and imitate grilled food on the
stove by adding "smoke".

I would generally agree that the smoke should immediately hit the trash; my
wife, however, used liquid smoke to make dog treats (I'm not making this up)
and the dogs really loved it. Seemed to me the only appropriate use for it.

Old December 17th, 2003, 03:36 AM
SnakeFiddler

First you toss the bottle of liquid smoke in the trash.

Damn, must be good advise....

Snakefiddler

Old December 17th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Wolfgang

"SnakeFiddler" wrote in message
Hey Mr. Wolfe,
My neighbor is moving out and she gave me a bunch of wonderful cooking
spices and such.

The pain of losing good neighbors is somewhat assuaged by the accumulation
of all the goodies they leave behind. Even bad neighbors can leave good
feelings on the curbside.

Among them can be found; liquid smoke, Creole gumbo file',
blackened meat seasoning, and black peppercorns.

You've already gotten excellent advice on the liquid smoke and the blackened
meat seasoning, and I'll defer to anyone's experience with the file', as
I've never used it myself. Whole black peppercorns are good. The same is
true for most other whole seeds like coriander, cumin, nutmeg,
etc.......they will all last for years. Anything that is already ground
should follow the liquid smoke, as should dried herbs. These are all good
for a couple of months, maximum, and unless your neighbor is an exceptional
individual, have probably been hanging around for years.

I take it you are the "resident" chef on Roff,

Well, as Mr. Knight (who has shown the good taste to live in Kansas, for
God's sake, for many years) has already pointed out, I suffer from a
heritage more famous for rasorial tendencies than for bromatology, and it is
no secret among those who have met me that I am more the goumand than the
gourmet. Let us just say that I am more willing than most to share the
pain.

and thought you might have
some ideas how I could use these things-

One thing I will say in my own favor is that I don't lack
imagination.....o.k., let's see what we've got to work with.....

I have chicken breasts

Um........uh.......

and pork
chops in the freezer...

Oh.....heh, heh,.....I see.....I tho......well, never mind.

The best advice I can give you is to work with or at least watch good cooks
at work and get the best tools and cookbooks you can afford. If you don't
know any good cooks who do the kinds of things you'd like to learn, the food
network on cable T.V. is an excellent source......if you can overlook the
annoying people they have doing the cooking. Cookbooks are, I believe,
still the best overall sellers in book stores all over America, and probably
the rest of the world as well. With cookbooks, as with anything else, you
have to be careful what you invest in. Everyone should own a copy of one of
the standard how to cook anything books like Betty Crocker, Good
Housekeeping, The Settlement Cookbook, etc. Beyond that, I think the best
bet is to go with lavishly illustrated specialty books.....high quality
color photographs of the dishes (and various steps in the processes when you
can get them) are essential. Best of all is a series that has a lot of
features you like. My current favorite is a series published by Hermes
House, an imprint of Anness Publishing Limited in London. These are 9x12
format soft covers, each dedicated to a particular national or regional
cuisine, style, type of food, etc. They're easy to identify by the spine.
Each spine is a single solid bright color, has a small photograph of a
sample of the food near the top edge, the name of the cuisine in large
letters, and the Hermes House "HH" colophon at the bottom. I've got ten in
the series: Russian, German, and Polish in one volume, Salmon, French,
Tomatoes, Mexican, Indian, Sauces and Salsas, Vegetarian, Mediterranean, and
Soups. And then, of course, there are a few dozen other more or less random
selections. You'll never use most of the recipes. But, eventually, the
practice and the exposure pay off.

Snakefiddler- in possession of your wicked looking meatloaf recipe...

That one was my own invention. Unfortunately, unless I post them here, I
never write them down and forget a lot of the details almost immediately.
As I recall, that meatloaf was pretty good. Can I borrow the recipe some
time?

Wolfgang
oh, and use a gas stove.

Old December 17th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Scott Seidman

"SnakeFiddler" wrote in news:broiuf$5d10d$5@ID-
209611.news.uni-berlin.de:

Thank you Mr. Knight-
I will have blackened chicken for dinner tomorrow!!

Snakefiddler-

What time should we come over?

Scott
Old December 17th, 2003, 07:42 PM
SnakeFiddler

Scott Seidman Wrote:

What time should we come over?

All of Roff? Gee, my apartment's not that big...

Snakefiddler- only able to accommodate large crowds of midgets in my tiny
home...

. 1.4...