How to fish deep from boat - newbie question

Old July 7th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Eric

Default How to fish deep from boat - newbie question

I used to fish from shoreline only. I bought a trolling motor for my
inflation boat and a Humminbird Smartcast fish finder and went out
fishing for the first time over the July 4 weekend.

We got to a place where the fish finder find so many fishes in deep
water (e.g., lake bottom is 60 ft, the fish is around 41 ft.) This is
my first time fish from a boat. It seems to me that I can never send
my bait to the desired depth and we kept hooking trees/bottom.

I'd appreciate any help or pointers to fish this kind situation.

Eric.
Old July 7th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Pepperoni

Sounds like a perfect situation for using a jig and minnow. You should even
be able to see your lure on the finder. I would slow drift, or use the
motor just enough to hold position. Variations might include using leeches
or crawlers as bait, using "jigging" spoons like the Swedish Pimple, or ice
fishing lures made for fishing vertically. You will be able to refine your
method once you identify those fish. Hopefully, it isn't a school of shad.
40 feet is a bit extreme, but you could even use a sliding bobber rig, if
necessary. If you have your mind set up to troll, you could use a
downrigger, or a planing device to pull your lure deep. A lot depends on
the water you fish, and the fish you want to catch.

For bait fishing at 40 feet, you merely need enough weight to take the bait
down; cast out about 40-45 feet and let the weight take the bait in an arc
through the fish.

I know your main problem will be holding position in the wind. A lot
depends on the lake you fish. In my youth, I fished a one-man inflatable
quite a bit. I would set a small anchor in thick weeds and let the wind
carry me out over the deep water drop-off beyond the weeds. Another method
we used was to set a heavy weight in deep water and a floating buoy on top.
(we had limited space in the rafts) We would then just tie up to the buoy
and a quick release knot let us chase (or rather be towed by) the fish.

In light winds, I would try drift fishing through the fish. Straight line
down to the proper depth and let the breeze or current carry you over the
school. Tight-lining lets you feel the bite. Use a lively bait.

Good luck. Let us know what that is down there.

Pepperoni

om...

Old July 7th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Paty

Get a down rigger"Eric" wrote in message
om...
I used to fish from shoreline only. I bought a trolling motor for my
inflation boat and a Humminbird Smartcast fish finder and went out
fishing for the first time over the July 4 weekend.

We got to a place where the fish finder find so many fishes in deep
water (e.g., lake bottom is 60 ft, the fish is around 41 ft.) This is
my first time fish from a boat. It seems to me that I can never send
my bait to the desired depth and we kept hooking trees/bottom.

I'd appreciate any help or pointers to fish this kind situation.

Eric.

----

Attached Images
File Type: gif p.gif (940 Bytes, 179 views)
Old July 9th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Eric

Hi Pepperoni,

Thanks very much for your great suggestions.

Eric.

"Pepperoni" wrote in message ...
[...]

om...