Bungee Rig Draws Crowds at Nashville Boat Show

Old February 12th, 2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joe Haubenreich

Default Bungee Rig Draws Crowds at Nashville Boat Show

Before the doors opened Friday morning at the Nashville Boat Show, I passed
by the Mojo booth and spied a familiar-looking face. Rodney Long and a Mojo
Prostaff member were setting up a demonstration tank for Mojo's SpecTastic
bungee rig, Rock Hopper, and Rig Saver.

Rodney and I didn't have a lot of time to chat before the show since I was
late loading in and had to set up in a hurry, but attendance was pretty low
through the weekend, so from time to time we were able to visit. The Secret
Weapon Lures booth was next to the American Bass Anglers. We had a clear
line of sight to the Mojo booth, which was on the end one aisle up.

Without a doubt the Mojo booth drew the biggest crowd of any exhibit there.
Rarely did I look over when there weren't somewhere between two to a dozen
visitors clustered around the demonstration tank. I know first-hand that the
attitude of most show attendees when presented with something different is
"I dare you to convince me." Anglers put on a crap-proof hard shell coating
before entering the hall, and you can see it in their expressions. I grew
accustomed to the change of expressions marching across the faces of people
leaning over the Mojo demo tank. They went from skeptical or non-committal,
to interested, to amazed, to delighted. And about that time, hands were
reaching for wallets, too. I have no doubt that more money crossed the
counter at the Mojo booth Friday afternoon than we took in for the entire
three days of the show.

I've kept my mouth shut for the last two years as the boomerang "thingy" was
ballyhooed and maligned by one ROFB regular or the other. I know some of us
have used the bungee rig and have been pleased with it, so I figured I would
try it one of these days. Not being a tournament angler, my main interest in
fishing has been to test new products, test techniques, or introduce others
to our lures. I can't remember ever having fished a drop-shot rig.

Sports fans, that's about to change. Next week I'm heading down to the
Harris Chain for the season opener of the Fishing w/ Jim Austin tour.
Usually I don't get to compete in tournaments we sponsor since I'm mainly
there to lend my support and promote our company. This time, though, I plan
to win the tournament. I'll rely on our Quickstrike or Sidearm spinnerbaits
and Buzzrbait to locate fish. If conditions don't favor blade baits, though,
you can count on my having a rod rigged drop-shot style with a "Wiggle Rig."
I'll post the results here in a couple of weeks.

I made sure all the Secret Weapon Prostaff working our booth took time out
to visit with Rodney and pick up some gear and skills that will help give
them a competitive edge. I'm not going to pass on all the extra little tips
Rodney gave me, but if you just go to his Website (ezknot.com) and follow
the instructions there, you'll benefit greatly.

One thing for sure; I'll want to spend an hour or so just practicing with
the bait right by the shore in clear water so I can master the basic wiggle,
death quiver, and slapping techniques with various baits. Strike King's
floating soft plastic jerkbait (I think it was the 3X Zulu) and the Zoom
Tiny Fluke look to be the two highest percentage baits.

Anyway, I haven't weighed in on the subject, but now that I have a little
first-hand information, I have to tell you I'm impressed. The new tools and
techniques are definitely going to improve my fishing success in situations
where I've located fish but haven't been able to goad them into biting....
until now.

Joe
Secret Weapon Lures
http://secretweaponlures.com
World's Finest Spinnerbaits & Buzzbaits.
Better designs = better performance = better results

Old February 12th, 2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bass_Mr.[_2_]

Thanks for the info Joe. There's one more reason I am sorry I missed the
show this year. Dang !

"Joe Haubenreich" wrote in
message . ..

Old February 12th, 2007, 10:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Joe Haubenreich" wrote in
message . ..
[...]

LOL. Rodney sent me some bungee rigs to try a while back and when I tested
them in the swimming pool they really performed just like in his videos. I
tried to fish them some though and found the bungee left me with a heavy
feeling when I could not see the bait. I'm not saying it didn't work, just
that it really feels different.

I also tried his Standout Hook. I got TJ over at TTI-Blakemore to send me a
couple. I liked it quite a bit, but because I usually fish drop shots in
thick submerged grass beds I feel more comfortable fishing a worm hook or a
light Rig'n Hook (with some personal modifications) instead. I actually did
not have any problems that I can recall fishing the Stand Out hook in grass.
Its just an in my head kinda thing.

Anyway. After playing with two of his more recent product inventions I have
to say that he thinks these things through and works out a lot of little
bugs before we ever see them. I recognize that Rodney has rubbed a few
people the wrong way or reacted a bit too strongly to criticizm, but he
really works at this stuff. I would gladly evaluate any new product he
brought out to see if it was valuable to me and the way I fish and fit into
my skills set.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old February 12th, 2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

"Joe Haubenreich" wrote in message......

Joe, thanks for the report. Rodney's video with this rig is really
eye-popping. Rodney, a question for you: I notice you suggest a long
shank, loop-rigged hook with this rig. Why not a set-up with the stand-out
hook?

As for you Joe, I believe I told you that I tried one of your Sidearm
spinners late last year in some fairly cold water just to see what the
action on it would be. I got a 15" lmb in water and weather in which I
never expected to catch a bass. If Rodney's gear is as good as yours, I am
looking forward to a very productive season.

Old February 13th, 2007, 01:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

johnval1 wrote:
"Joe Haubenreich" wrote in message......

Joe, thanks for the report. Rodney's video with this rig is really
eye-popping. Rodney, a question for you: I notice you suggest a long
shank, loop-rigged hook with this rig. Why not a set-up with the stand-out
hook?

The Stand Out hook was designed for drop shotting, not the wiggle rig
which is "not" drop shotting, although rigged similarly. yes it will
work with the wiggle rig, yes you will catch fish with them together,
and if you always did, I would make more money, but I would also be
short changing the fisherman, if I told them to use it. In testing the
wiggle rig, hooks that could pivot on the line, unlike the Standout with
can't, catch more fish, and entice more bites. Mojo even includes the
Standout in the Wiggle rig package, I tell people use the StandOut hook
for crappie fishing with live bait, or drop shotting when you run out
of bungees on the water. Otherwise use your favorite hook for the lure
your fishing, if you miss the hook set, not a problem, keep wiggling the
lure, the fish will hit it again, and again, and again until you set
your hook. I have one on film, that hit a lure 13 times in 30 sec. when
I was not using a hook, just filming strikes, using a nose screw in the
lure. I have missed a few strikes using other hooks, but I catch them on
the next hit, when they spin around and nail it again

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old February 13th, 2007, 02:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Joe Haubenreich wrote:

One thing for sure; I'll want to spend an hour or so just practicing with
the bait right by the shore in clear water so I can master the basic wiggle,
death quiver, and slapping techniques with various baits. Strike King's
floating soft plastic jerkbait (I think it was the 3X Zulu) and the Zoom
Tiny Fluke look to be the two highest percentage baits.

Thanks for the kind words Joe, Now just to get something clear here, I
have not yet fished with the 3X Zulu. It was the first time I had ever
placed it on the rig was at that show, of course what it did was a
little shocking even to me, to really duplicate a free swimming, injured
shad was awesome in my book, it laid on the surface quivering on it's
side going in a tight circle, then "swimming" down trying to right it's
self just to come back up on it's side quivering again. I have seen shad
do this many times while I was fishing below dams, just to have a bass
or stripe pick them off. I think this will catch fish like no other
lure, but until I actually get a chance to test it on fish, it is only a
belief. Now the tiny fluke,, yeah that baby catches fish, when you can't
even charge a bite on your VISA

PS
I also will be using those Secret Weapons to find fish, and I hope catch
a large number of them

Old February 13th, 2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Bass_Mr. wrote:
Thanks for the info Joe. There's one more reason I am sorry I missed the
show this year. Dang !

Here is really all you missed, they had a trout pond, and the trout were
not being caught very often, we took a couple of kids that had never
caught a fish before over to the pond, and we cheated, we put a wiggle
rig on their lines. Seeing these kids land their first fish was the most
important thing at the show, forget about the sales pitch Steve from
Mojo says at the first, in the second video, just watch the kids faces,
that's all that matters.

These are around 10 megs each so you need a high speed connection to
download them fast, these links will just open your video viewer

http://ezknot.com/trout3.wmv
http://ezknot.com/trout4.wmv

Old February 13th, 2007, 06:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

"Rodney Long" wrote in message
Here is really all you missed, they had a trout pond, and the trout were
not being caught very often, we took a couple of kids that had never
caught a fish before over to the pond, and we cheated, we put a wiggle rig
on their lines. Seeing these kids land their first fish was the most
important thing at the show, forget about the sales pitch Steve from Mojo
says at the first, in the second video, just watch the kids faces, that's
all that matters.

Nice vids Rodney. Fun watching those kids. I also liked the all too brief
vid of Bill Dance almost getting knocked over by that bass on the website.
Seems like Bill is always getting knocked down or falling overboard, or some
such thing.

Old February 16th, 2007, 12:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Chris Rennert

I have used the bungee over the last two seasons, and unfortunately I am
just about out of them. The problem here is the zebra mussels, they
just tear the bungees apart. I personally use them as part of a drop
shot rig with a 3" White Senko and I just give it a little flip, maybe a
10 foot cast or so, and pretty much just hold the line tight, and very
gently bounce the tip of my rod. It is the momentary bounce that seems
to trigger a bite, the kicker with the bungee is that the bait never
stops moving. I tried a 3" Berkley power minnow, and I didn't catch
half the fish that were hitting the senko, I think the senko just seemed
to quiver more.
I cannot say that anyone could go out and catch fish drop shotting with
the bungee, at least not anymore fish than would be caught on a standard
DS rig, but I am confident that the bungee makes the bait move
different, and keeps it moving, even while suspended , and I think it
makes the bait seem more life like. Plus, for me, it doesn't seem to
hurt my catch rate, so any added advantage I will take.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

Old February 20th, 2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joshuall

I often thought Rodney got beat up pretty good here and that there was a
double standard to some extent. I'd written about it a few years ago. Good
for you Joe for having the courage and ethics to stand up for a fellow group
member.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear