winter fishing

Old December 5th, 2005, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

Default winter fishing

hi all i am going to fish a local pond next week .... i have not fished for
quite a few years and want to start up again, all the new gizmos and gadgets
that are out these day i have never seen before and wouldn't know what or
how to use them anyway ..... the question i am asking is there anyone who
could give me some advise on how to fish a well stocked pond in winter ie
what size hook and strength line what method to use and baits , fish in
shallow or deeper water etc i would be grateful for any comments
thanxs stef

Old December 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

"Stef" wrote in message
hi all i am going to fish a local pond next week .... i have not fished
for
quite a few years and want to start up again, all the new gizmos and
gadgets
that are out these day i have never seen before and wouldn't know what or
how to use them anyway ..... the question i am asking is there anyone who
could give me some advise on how to fish a well stocked pond in winter ie
what size hook and strength line what method to use and baits , fish in
shallow or deeper water etc i would be grateful for any comments
thanxs stef

How long is a piece of string Stef.

If you can find a local angling club you could start with picking their
brains or the local tackle shop's.
It maybe help if we knew what the local water contained, or we could go in
blind. If I have to fish a water blind, I would use a 6lb line with a 4lb
hook link. Possibly float fish with maggots or bread punch over a slightly
damp groundbait mixed with sweetcorn and or hemp. Continuously loose feed
little and often the maggots to bring fish into the swim. If there are any
features to fish to like lilly pads do so. You will guarantee that there
will be some one who will turn up and tell you how to fish it. Take note and
try that next time. Me I prefer a pole!
--
Don't go chasing crocks of gold,
or you will miss seeing the rainbows

www.eric-gales.co.uk
Updated 01/11/05

Old December 5th, 2005, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

In article , Stef
wrote:
hi all i am going to fish a local pond next week .... i have not fished for
quite a few years and want to start up again, all the new gizmos and gadgets
that are out these day i have never seen before and wouldn't know what or
how to use them anyway .....

That's OK. You don't need them.

Just use the same tackle and methods you used to. The fish haven't changed.
You will probably be a little rusty but it will come back to you - then it
will be time to reassess and maybe consider new tackle in the light of your
renewed experience.

the question i am asking is there anyone who
could give me some advise on how to fish a well stocked pond in winter ie
what size hook and strength line what method to use and baits , fish in
shallow or deeper water etc i would be grateful for any comments

That rather depends what it's well stocked with - and what the weather and
water conditions are on the day.

As a very rough guide: The brighter and colder the weather and the clearer
the water the finer you must fish. If you can lay some your line on the
bottom you can use stronger line and larger hooks.

On a strange water I suggest you try to alternate between fishing two
adjacent swims with different gear. Begin by stirring up the bottom (or
throwing in good handfuls of mud) in an area two or three metres deep and
easy to fish into. Feed it with a very little breadcrumb or three or four
maggots every minute and fish it with a float and #16 hook close to the
bottom baiting with punched bread or maggot. At the same time find
somewhere with some cover - there may be some remaining lillypads or an
overhanging evergreen - and throw in a good double handful of chopped
lobworms or sweetcorn or (if you can remember the gentle cast required to
use flake) soaked bread. Fish that area with stronger tackle hard on the
bottom with a whole, head-hooked lob, two or three corns or flake on a #4
hook.

Give each area attention for a while letting the other recover from any
disturbance caused by your rustiness - keep your eyes open and be ready to
adapt and you more than double your chances.

But if there's a sudden, hard frost you're going to struggle whatever you
do.

Have fun. Cheerio,

Old December 5th, 2005, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

Hi Stef, all is not lost just because it gets cold. Generally in winter
scale down the feed and hookbait size. If the waggler fails try the feeder
with size 14 or 16. I prefer maggot, and these can be just as good used dead
especially in cold conditions. As for hooklength strength, it depends what
you are expecting. If it's a carp lake, 3or 4 Ib would be a good idea as
there's always a chance of a bigger fish.
Best of luck, let us know how you get on.