new to the sport

Old March 16th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Bill King

Default new to the sport

I am new to the sport and looking for some information.

Is there a good website that describes what equipment is needed for
different types of fishing? Does in include a glossary explaining what
different terms mean?

Is this list a good place for this query, or should I search out a different
one?

Thanks,

bill

Old March 16th, 2005, 09:43 PM
yellowchaser

We have a very large site with tons of great information, maps, tips,
forums and more. http://www.hookandsinker.com
posted from www.hookandsinker.com
Old March 16th, 2005, 11:18 PM
sprattoo

When I have a topic I always start at yahoo or google. There are literally
hundreds and thousands of websites like what you are describing out there.
Maybe think about what type of fish you are going after. Or where you want
to fish.

When I first thought I would try sal****er fishing off the pier.... I went
to the pier with a friend of mine. We watched the people fishing and asked
them questions.

Chances are also if it's near water you'll find a local tackle and bait shop
with a bunch of guys hanging out talking about fishing.
Most times if you say, " I haven't been fishing but I want to give it a
try... what do you guys think I should do?"
You will probably get a pretty straight answer and some help (unless you
are from Mass. and your asking for help in Maine... then forget it.
*snicker*
Don't go asking at walmart! Go to walmart when you know what you need and
want to pick up cheap gear.

Around here we, in Maine, most shops will put on classes or seminars about
fishing and new fishermen help clinics... yes with the hope you will buy
their stuff, but they offer real fishing onfo and tips.

We have LL Bean and Kittery trading post. But even small tackle shops will
do things like "Fly casting" and "fly tying"

Hey thanks.. maybe this is a good start for my next article. I hadn't really
thought about a "welcome to Fishing " article before.
Everything from fishing to Freaks
www.sprattoo.com