best equipment for Fly Fishing on a lake

Old July 13th, 2006, 10:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
runsrealfast

Default best equipment for Fly Fishing on a lake

I am a stream fisherman that would like to start fly fishing on some of
the lakes here in eastern Idaho. Of course I need some suggestions on
what the best equipment might be for fly fishing on a lake. There are
so many different brands out there it makes my head spin when I try to
buy new stuff even while fishing in the stream (I just buy what has
worked in the past, and don't buy flys from sportsmans wearhouse in
Idaho Falls two casts and they fall apart the ones at wal mart last
longer!). Just thought I could get some suggestions and maybe start a
good debate

john
http://johntaylor.somee.com

Old July 14th, 2006, 03:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Don Phillipson

"runsrealfast" wrote in message
oups.com...

I am a stream fisherman that would like to start fly fishing on some of
the lakes here in eastern Idaho. Of course I need some suggestions on
what the best equipment might be for fly fishing on a lake. There are
so many different brands out there it makes my head spin when I try to
buy new stuff even while fishing in the stream (I just buy what has

1. Be warned, most FF believe it is easier to
learn to fish flies in rivers than in still water (lakes.)
2. Just spend $200 maximum on a whole outfit
(rod, line and reel) of either a brand you trust or the
recommendations of a store you trust. When you
know enough to justify spending more you will
not begrudge the cost.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old July 14th, 2006, 03:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

runsrealfast wrote:
I am a stream fisherman that would like to start fly fishing on some of
the lakes here in eastern Idaho. Of course I need some suggestions on
what the best equipment might be for fly fishing on a lake. There are
so many different brands out there it makes my head spin when I try to
buy new stuff even while fishing in the stream (I just buy what has
worked in the past, and don't buy flys from sportsmans wearhouse in
Idaho Falls two casts and they fall apart the ones at wal mart last
longer!). Just thought I could get some suggestions and maybe start a
good debate

I'm assuming that you're fishing for trout.

A floating line and an intermediate sinking line (not a sink tip), at a
minimum, are necessary.

A nine-foot 5wt rod will be the most versatile.

Your main consideration will be fly patterns and presentation. You'll
need, for wet flies, damsel nymphs, dragonfly nymphs, zug bugs (a
versatile stillwater fly), various woolly buggers, PT and GRHE nymphs (I
like Skip's Nymph), leeches (black marabou), scuds, etc. For dries, if
you're lucky to get into dry-fly action, Callibaetis. Parachute Adams
will do just fine. You should also have a selection of caddis dries.
Depending on where you fish, midge pupa patterns could be very useful.

Look for the weed beds. Fish a couple of nymphs below an indicator. The
fish will be working the weeds for meals. Works for me. Let the wind
drag take the nymphs through the weeds and you won't get snagged. Use
heavy tippet, because you'll get hung up on weeds -- 4x at a minimum --
3x more likely.

The most important difference between stream fishing and stillwater
fishing is that in streams the fish tend to stay in one spot against the
current -- an efficient feeding spot. In stillwaters they have to cruise
around to find food.

Old July 14th, 2006, 03:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
runsrealfast

So if i'm understanding this right then the only real difference would
be a bigger tippet and maybe a little different variety of flys? That
could save some cash.

Old July 14th, 2006, 07:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

runsrealfast wrote:
So if i'm understanding this right then the only real difference would
be a bigger tippet and maybe a little different variety of flys? That
could save some cash.

Do you have some kind of boat? It's possible to fish some lakes from
shore, but a boat, or even a float tube, enormously increases your
opportunities.

Also, serious stillwater fly fishermen have at least one sinking line,
and more typically two or more with different sink rates.

Old July 16th, 2006, 10:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Kiene

Lake gear:

9' to 10' #5 - #6 line rods

Good balanced fly reel

Weight forward floating line.

Weight forward clear slow sinking line.

Float tube, pontoon boat or flat bottom skiff.

Time and money to go.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

Old July 17th, 2006, 05:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
runsrealfast

Do you have some kind of boat?

I don't have my own but can get access to one almost anytime I want so
thats not the trouble, but I have been looking at those pontoon boats
in different sporting goods stores. Some are pretty well priced while
others seem to be a lot more expensive. What would be the general
recomondation with those things?