Recommendations for starter fly-tying.

Old March 29th, 2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mdk77

Default Recommendations for starter fly-tying.

On Mar 29, 11:55 am, "Tom Nakashima" wrote:
I earlier posted Altering Dry Flies to Wet Flies question, and
some suggested that I start to learn to tie the flies to get a better
understanding.
I think they're right.
recommendations for starter fly-tying?
Kits? Purchasing items separate? Books?
-tom

I'm a newbie to fly tying. I tried getting a few books and after
searching the internet and reading posts from this group I bought some
tools & a vise. One person on this group recommended that I go to a
class first. He was 100% right. I wish now that I had just taken the
class FIRST, then I would have known what to buy (and what NOT to
buy).

The local class provided tools to use (and to purchase if we wanted
to.....but no pressure either way). Things that looked SO complicated
in the books, actually were VERY easy with a patient teacher working
with me. Instead of being stressed trying to figure out the book, I
had a TON of fun with other newbies tying flies. Man, the first flies
that I made were ugly as sin, but the teacher made me feel like I had
tied the most beautiful fly (but then he kindly told my how to improve
the NEXT one I tied). After a few classes, the flies actually began
to look decent (and catch fish).

After the class was over, the books then made WONDERFUL sense, and now
they are valuable references for me to keep. I looked at a ton of
books, but there are 3 that I bought and VERY much like (especially
for a newbie like me):

"The Fly-Tying Bible" by Peter Gathercole
"Trout Flies - The Tier's Reference" by Dave Hughes
"The Fly Tiers Benchside Reference to Techniques and Dressing Styles"
by Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer

Also, to the people in this group that gave me advice, I want to say
"thanks" for the help. I have been having a lot of fun catching fish
and tying my own flies, thanks to you guys helping me get started on
the right foot.

Old March 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:55:06 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

I earlier posted Altering Dry Flies to Wet Flies question, and
some suggested that I start to learn to tie the flies to get a better
understanding.
I think they're right.
recommendations for starter fly-tying?
Kits? Purchasing items separate? Books?
-tom

Something else I've noticed. There seems to be some recommendations
about materials, which is great _IF_ the novice is looking to start
tying such as would require the materials suggested. I realize Tom's
question related to his prior RFI, but for others reading this, they
might be in area where trout flies and the materials involved are of
little use. That's why I'd offer that as to materials, the novice
simply get whatever materials the recipe(s) they intend to tie call for.
OTOH, the tools and techniques are _generally_ similar enough in
character so that general advice as to tools, not buying a "kit," GOOD
scissors, etc. will assist any novice, anywhere.

TC,
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On 29 Mar 2007 12:26:24 -0700, "Ethan" wrote:

I agree with all the advice so far, but I must admit that I bought a
kit and I've been pretty happy with it so far. It came from Gander
Mtn. and was made by Rumpf. It was around 30 bucks and for the money I
think it was a good deal. It came with all kinds of stuff, including
vise, scissors, feathers, dubbing, head cement, bobbin, bodkin. simple
book, thread, tinsel, rubber legs, so much stuff I can't even name it
all, pretty much everything thing you would need. But it was a little
light on hooks, only like a dozen or so nymph dry and streamer hooks.
But still that is 3 dozen flies for 30 bucks, and enough crap left
over that I've tied well over 75 flies and have probably only spent 50
bucks total on new hooks and a few other odds and ends.

So personally I would reccomend the Rumpf, I know you don't get "GOOD"
quality stuff, but hey it got me tying without having to bore the
clerk at my fly shop with questions for two hours, or lament over
spending big bucks on a big fancy vise...

-Ethan

The problem with kits are that one often gets all sorts of things they
don't need and can't use, and in such a case, it's money wasted. For
example, $1000USD worth of material for small dries isn't going to help
a bass or salt tyer very much, even if they could get it for $50.00. But
"value" is in the eye of the beholder, and if you think you got your
money's worth, then you did.

TC,
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Tom Nakashima wrote:

I earlier posted Altering Dry Flies to Wet Flies question, and
some suggested that I start to learn to tie the flies to get a better
understanding.
I think they're right.
recommendations for starter fly-tying?
Kits? Purchasing items separate? Books?
-tom

i'm a novice...and a self-taught novice at that.g trying to figure it
out from books and videos is often frustrating. i learn stuff better by
observing others do it (well, some things did come naturally - for you
perverse fukkers), and by asking questions. a few moments watching big
dale tie was better than hours of studying books on flytying. once you
get the stuff...find someone to show you how to use it. there are so
many shortcuts, methods, techniques, etc. to the art (and i think it is
art).

jeff (not an artist)
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Larry L wrote:

"Conan The Librarian" wrote

Actually, there may be. I've heard great things about Harrop's stuff,
but Marc Petitjean's CDC is the best I've ever used, by a long shot.
Interesting colors and really top-flight feathers.

In the sake of accuracy I should have said "that I've ever seen" or
something similar .... but aside coming I often find that if I were to
include all the disclaimers needed to avoid 'nitpickers' around here, a
369KB post would still end up all disclaimer and no information G end
aside Thanks Chuck, I'll get some petijean and try it

Let me know how it compares to the Harrop stuff.

I also "think" but will not testify in court that Harry over at
http://www.troutflies.com/ sells Harrop CDC and he's a California boy, and.
thus, better than avearge G ( except maybe at spelling )

TOM, Harry's site also has Excellent tying tutorials for some patterns
here's one for the classic "first fly"

http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/hares_ear/

I can't believe I forgot to mention Harry's site. If someone
doesn't have access to a local fly tyer to watch, Harry's is the next
best thing. I learned so many of the basics (and some more advanced
techniques, as well) from his site. And his flies are top-notch.

Which brings me to another point: It's not a bad idea to order a few
flies from a reputable dealer/tyer. These can serve as "templates" for
your tying.

Chuck Vance
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

Thanks again for all the post and suggestions.
Soon I will be attempting to tie flies.
I also enjoyed the website; Troutflies.com, their step by step
instructions and examples of the tied flies.
-tom