Question for you electronics wizards...>>>

Old June 9th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Rodney

Default Question for you electronics wizards...>>>

Marty S. wrote:
I've checked the voltage and either battery by itself reads 12 volts when
hooked up in series, and they are 24 together. However, is there an issue
of amps or watts or current or whatever else flows in the wires? The fish
finder draws about 110 milliamps (whatever that is)... Will it burn out or
crack or implode or fizz out or whatever? (as you can tell, I didn't spend
a whole lot of time paying attention in 7th grade electrical shop)

110 Milliamps (0.110 amps per hour current flow) is what your finder
draws at 12 volts. if you made the mistake and hooked it up to both
batteries (24 volts) then it would draw 210 milliamps, burning out your
finder, then increasing the amp draw even more as wire's insulation
melts, and wires short out to each other) . or at least blowing the fuze.
As long as your hooked to the Positive and negative of the same battery
you have nothing to worry about, your finder is wired up correctly, that
is if your circuit is not grounded to the boat, and all fish finders I
know of are not, they have a floating circuit (both Positive and
negative wires go to the finder)
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Old June 9th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Gordon

Go for it. Won't hurt a thing.
"Marty S." wrote in message
I'm running 2 12-volt batteries running in series to power my 24-volt
electric motor in my jon boat (on an electric-only reservoir) and I want

run a fish finder. Here's my question -- can I safely run the fish finder
off of one of the 2 12-volt batteries while running the 24-volt motor?

Or,
is that going to burn up the fish finder? Should I just invest in a

couple
of 6-volt lantern batteries instead?

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

Old June 9th, 2004, 05:50 PM
daytripper

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 08:43:15 GMT, "Billgran"
wrote:

"Marty S." wrote in message
I'm running 2 12-volt batteries running in series to power my 24-volt
electric motor in my jon boat (on an electric-only reservoir) and I want

run a fish finder. Here's my question -- can I safely run the fish

finder
off of one of the 2 12-volt batteries while running the 24-volt motor?

Or,
is that going to burn up the fish finder? Should I just invest in a

couple
of 6-volt lantern batteries instead?

The easiest way to hook them up so you will not have electrical interaction
problems is to attach the negative wire of the fish finder to the same
battery terminal as the negative wire of the trolling motor. That way both
items use the same "ground" path.

That's all I've been trying to say...
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Rod McInnis

"Marty S." wrote in message
Here's my question -- can I safely run the fish finder
off of one of the 2 12-volt batteries while running the 24-volt motor?

that should work fine.

As daytripper suggested, it would be a lot safer if you connected it across
the battery that had a connection to "ground". The trolling motor could be
totally isolated, but I wouldn't bet on it. It might be isolated as long as
the aluminum case of the lower unit didn't touch anything else.

The trolling motor should have a "positive" and a "Negative" power lead. If
either side was referenced to ground it would be the negative, so connect
your fish finder across the battery that connects to the negative trolling
motor lead.

As another has said, the fishfinder will create an unequal discharge in the
two batteries, so one will go dead before the other. But unless you sit
fishing for a LONG time the fish finder draw will be insignificant. Now, if
you start running spot lights or similar there might be an issue.

Rod

Old June 9th, 2004, 11:18 PM

In rec.boats Marty S. wrote:
: I've checked the voltage and either battery by itself reads 12 volts when
: hooked up in series, and they are 24 together. However, is there an issue
: of amps or watts or current or whatever else flows in the wires? The fish
: finder draws about 110 milliamps (whatever that is)... Will it burn out or
: crack or implode or fizz out or whatever? (as you can tell, I didn't spend
: a whole lot of time paying attention in 7th grade electrical shop)

Shouldn't be a problem connecting across one battery. Especially given
that the fish finder only draws 110 mA.

b.

Old June 10th, 2004, 12:39 AM
Major oz

The easiest way to hook them up so you will not have electrical interaction
problems is to attach the negative wire of the fish finder to the same
battery terminal as the negative wire of the trolling motor. That way both
items use the same "ground" path.

Bill Grannis
service manager

PerZakly

Get in the habit of connecting the fish finder and everything else (lights,
etc.) that way. Someday there will be an internal connection of that "ground"
to the boat and other users. This way no problems will develop.

cheers

oz
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Marty S.

Thanks to everyone that helped!!!

As an aside, I sent email to both Eagle and Lowrance -- they are actually
the same company and are located in the same place in Tulsa and they run
almost identical websites -- but I got TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ANSWERS TO
THE SAME QUESTION!!!!

I got this back from Eagle:

"Thank you for your inquiry. You can connect the sonar across a single
battery to obtain 12 volts for the unit. WE would recommend connecting
across the first battery instead of the second as it provides 0-12 volts and
is isolated from the charger or other 24 volt power accessories.

Thank you for choosing Eagle.

Eagle Customer Service
12000 E. Skelly Dr.
Tulsa, OK 74128

Customer Service: 1-800-324-1354
Eagle website: http://www.eaglesonar.com/"

But, I got this from Lowrance:

"Thank you for your inquiry. No, you cannot connect the Cuda 168 to the 24
volt system (2 - 12 volt batteries in series = 24 volts). This could fry
the sonar unit. You will need to connect the Cuda 168 to it's own 12 volt
battery. Considering weight and space you may want to consider a small
lawn/motorcycle or gel cell rechargeable battery.

If we can be of any further assistance please contact us.

11
Lowrance Electronics
12000 E. Skelly Dr.
Tulsa, OK 74128
1-800-324-1356
www.lowrance.com

LEI: Parts & Accessories
1-800-324-0045
www.lei-extras.com"

I am going to go with the majority on this subject and hook my fish finder
up to one of the two batteries that I am running in my 24-volt system --
with the negative wire to the fish finder hooked up to the same terminal as
the negative wire to the motor.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

Old June 11th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Jim

Actually, the responses aren't conflicting. They answered different
questions. :^) Appears the person responding from Lowrance misread
your question and thought you wanted to run the unit off of 24 volts.

-Jim