TR for the Bighorn Micro Clave and a Trip to Chas's

Old September 25th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Warren

Default TR for the Bighorn Micro Clave and a Trip to Chas's

wrote...
I wasn't giving you any **** for not letting me know this time, I read that
it was spur of the moment.

Yeah I know, but RW and I talked about how we wished we had
more time so that we could have got you and Dave together too.

You're only about 12 hours away here where I'm at, couple a hours closer on
Chas' side of the pond. There are guys that head to Montana just for the 2
day weekend from here. I know it's not an ideal situation for you but if the
thoughts are running through your head it's something to consider. The last
thing I'm trying to do is to talk you into moving over here and away from the
love of your life (your daughter, not fishing).

12 hours doesn't sound like much until you get behind the
wheel and actually do it. I doubt the weather will be as good
next time I/we go. That 12 hour drive may turn into a 16+
hour drive based upon weather. I wish I were closer, but you
nailed what is keeping me from moving over. Of course she is
a little fisherman and would probably enjoy those trips when
she gets a little bit older. g

When Lou Teletski was out here, the youngin' caught a 17" cutt
on her own. I actually cast, but the fish took and when I set
the hook I gave her the rod. She landed that thing on her own
and then made me take the rod so she could net it. Every time
she comes over she wants to go out in the boat too. Must be
good genetics. ;-)
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
Old September 25th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Clark Reid

"Warren" wrote
True story. I often feel the same way and have a hard time
describing that feeling. It is kind of like getting your kid
into their first fish, or any fish for that matter. You are
happy because you get to share an experience that has brought
you so much joy in the past, but also take a little bit of
"pride" in getting that person into fish too. It is sort of
like vicariously fishing through another and being able to
share the happiness, but also experience it through them at
the same time.

That's exactly it... I feel like that guiding too, but it's even better with
your kids.

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

Old September 25th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Jonathan Cook

"Bruiser" wrote in message ...

We are looking forward to the Juan and seeing your pictures.

Thanks for the Rio Grande TR. I've always wanted to fish it
in the fall but that's a busy time for us and if I have any days
I'm usually trying to figure out how I can go hunting with them...

Bruce, we need to plan a Penasco day...email me and we'll figure
something out...I'll bet now thru mid-November or so it'll fish
pretty good, as long as we don't happen to hit rain/snow runoff.
I haven't been back since that last TR I did. (shoot, they've
already turned the river below EB off and I haven't even been
carp fishing yet!)

I'm really bummed I'll miss the Dec SJ trip...but my work provided
"an offer I can't refuse" :-) But, I am expecting to be up on the
SJ Oct 11-13, provided no snags come up.

Jon.
Old September 26th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Chas Wade

Warren wrote:
Tying the flies with the hook point up
may also be something worth looking into.....
--

The ones I tied are clouser style, mostly to prevent the foul hooking.
It seems to me that managing the drift can also prevent the foul

Chas
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html

Old September 26th, 2003, 04:13 AM
Chas Wade

Warren wrote:
wrote...
Now I know how you hooked those few dark pinks on Sunday -- the ones
that weren't taking. :-)

Hey, I told you I didn't count those. I caught 3 fair and
square and I am a little more strict on what is considered
"fair hooked" than what Chas described the regs as. It is
mouth or nothing as far as I am concerned.

The regs define "legal" as hooked in the head. I'm with you, fair
hooked is inside the mouth.

Old September 26th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Darin Minor

Chas Wade wrote:

Darin Minor wrote:

Chums will actually start to darken up faster than pinks, they'll
start in the
salt water. As far as I'm concerned, the smoker isn't even good enough
for
chums. There is a reason they call 'em dog salmon.

Well, one side of me wants to leave this comment alone so there will be
more chums for me, but the other side just couldn't leave it at that.
I caught several bright chums last year on the Sky above Monroe. They
were tasty grilled, no need to smoke them.

As a biological note, the salt/fresh thing isn't involved in the timing
of the fish turning color. They turn in anticipation of spawning, at a
standard interval before the actual spawning starts. If they are
Hoodsport fish, they often change completely in the salt. If they are
Skagit, Sky, or Stilly fish, they change as much as a week or two after
heading up the river. Particularly in the case of chums, the color
alone doesn't tell you they aren't fresh any more. Alaskan fish that
spawn in small creeks that dump straight into the salt often only spend
the last few days of their lives in the fresh water.

I do wonder when the Yukon river kings change color. They have over
2000 miles of fresh water to navigate.

Chas
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html

I just wrote what I'd read at one time, not actual personal experience.
Thanks for clarifying for me.
Just because they'll darken early doesn't mean I won't fish for 'em, I've
heard that they'll take some line.

Darin

Old September 26th, 2003, 04:28 AM
Darin Minor

Warren wrote:

12 hours doesn't sound like much until you get behind the
wheel and actually do it. I doubt the weather will be as good
next time I/we go. That 12 hour drive may turn into a 16+
hour drive based upon weather. I wish I were closer, but you
nailed what is keeping me from moving over. Of course she is
a little fisherman and would probably enjoy those trips when
she gets a little bit older. g

I've done it a couple of times now just to come see your sorry ass Good point
about the nastier weather. I think it would be heavy on the + in the 16+ hours.

When Lou Teletski was out here, the youngin' caught a 17" cutt
on her own. I actually cast, but the fish took and when I set
the hook I gave her the rod. She landed that thing on her own
and then made me take the rod so she could net it. Every time
she comes over she wants to go out in the boat too. Must be
good genetics. ;-)

Gave me a chill to read that, thanks.

Darin