Today on the water

Old June 11th, 2007, 03:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Today on the water

I caught a 5.37 LM today for 2nd place big fish in a Yuma Bassmasters
tournament today. 1st place big fish was a 5.38. Ouch.

Dave and I were fishing together. We did ok. Between us we caught
somehwere around 18-19 keepers and we finished the day with a bit of a
struggle to make it on time. With about 8 mintues to make it in for weigh
in I got nailed by what felt like a toad. (more like 2.8 or so). I got
wrapped up hard in the trash. Finally in desperation I wrapped the line
around my plier handles and just tore the line through the brush to tear the
fish loose... and landed it.

I've NEVER got a fish in the boat after tearing the line up through the cane
like that before. Dave said he hasn't either, but it worked today. I had
Dave cull out our smallest fish while I bounced around the boat like a BB in
a barrel trying to get everything secured to make the run in. I lit her up
and drove like my hair was on fire and I was trying to out run the flames.

I cut the boat around and dropped her off the pad just outside of Fisher's
with seconds to spare. Weigh in was was at 1:30. We passed the buoy and I
glanced at my watch to see it said 1:30 and 4 seconds. Talk about cutting
it close.

We wound up finishing fourth over all with 2nd place big fish. We were just
out of the money as the tourney today paid only 3 places. Ouch. We did get
a small check for 2nd place big fish. Ouch again though. 1/100th of a
pound cost us two hundred bucks.

Still, I had a really good day. Caught a fair number of keeper bass, one
really good fish, ripped a good fish out of the brush AND GOT IT, and worked
really well as a team with my partner. No. On second thought I DID NOT have
a good day. I had a great day. Thanks Dave. Nothing like a good fishing
partner to make for a great day on the water.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old June 11th, 2007, 08:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Today on the water

Sounds like a fun day Bob......wow, seems like they should t least pay
the top 5.

John K

=======

Old June 11th, 2007, 10:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"John B" wrote in message

Today on the water

Sounds like a fun day Bob......wow, seems like they should t least pay
the top 5.

Its was a small tourney with 17 boats. They pay 1 place for every five
boats. I'm not complaining. Somebody also told me that the local
Ranger/Skeeter dealer pays your next entry fee for the first out of the
money. If that's true, that's like winning another small check.