Brand Name Bass Rods and Reels: Advice?

Old March 26th, 2007, 02:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Bryan

Default Brand Name Bass Rods and Reels: Advice?

Don't know nothin' 'bout nucular physics and don't know nothin' 'bout bass
fishin'!

I want to do some online shopping to get a feel for pricing. Any website
suggestions? Any brand name suggestions?

I want a 5.5 foot one piece graphite medium light to medium action
baitcasting rod and a aluminum anodized ball bearing baitcasting reel with
5:1 retrieve and with a disengaging pawl and magnetic braking. This is for
12 pound braided line.

I also want a 6 foot one piece graphite medium action spinning rod and a
graphite ball bearing spinning reel. This is for 10 pound line.

I got my suggestions from a book; I don't know any bass fishermen! So, if
my info is outdated, or inappropriate, feel free to offer alternative
suggestions. This is for California bass fishing and not for southern
states bassing. I believe the region difference regarding gear is
significant (so I'm told).

I'm all ears (or eyes)!

Thanks

Old March 26th, 2007, 05:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Calif Bill

"Bryan" wrote in message
[...]

Go into the Outdoor Pro Shop in Santa Rosa. Complete shop, not always the
cheapest, but some of the guys are big bass fisherman.

Old March 26th, 2007, 08:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Bryan

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
link.net...

Go into the Outdoor Pro Shop in Santa Rosa. Complete shop, not always the
cheapest, but some of the guys are big bass fisherman.

Thanks Bill.

I prefer Western Sportshop in Santa Rosa. Outdoor Pro only seems interested
in customer service if you have the blank check signed and sitting on the
counter.

I'll check out Western (Outdoor if I must) later this week. In the meantime
I was hoping for some tips on what to look for so I could enjoy my online
experience until I could show up in person.

I've got a friend dying to learn how to catch bass, so I'm going along for
the ride. No matter what, it gets us away from our wives for the day!

Old March 26th, 2007, 05:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Del Cecchi

Bryan wrote:
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
link.net...

Go into the Outdoor Pro Shop in Santa Rosa. Complete shop, not always the
cheapest, but some of the guys are big bass fisherman.

Thanks Bill.

I prefer Western Sportshop in Santa Rosa. Outdoor Pro only seems interested
in customer service if you have the blank check signed and sitting on the
counter.

I'll check out Western (Outdoor if I must) later this week. In the meantime
I was hoping for some tips on what to look for so I could enjoy my online
experience until I could show up in person.

I've got a friend dying to learn how to catch bass, so I'm going along for
the ride. No matter what, it gets us away from our wives for the day!

basspro.com and cabelas.com

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,

Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Alex

I use 8lb flourocarbon or mono for worm fishing which I do over 3/4 my bass
fishing time. I use a BassPro XPS rod with an old Shimano Bantam
baitcasting 100 reel. The BassPro Extreme series rod is on sale now for $50
and is very decent. If there are bass clubs where you live they are a great
place to learn what to do and buy. Some tournament fishermen are very
closed mouthed so keep trying to find someone that can help.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybeard now[_2_]

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:36:29 -0400, "Alex"
wrote:

I use 8lb flourocarbon or mono for worm fishing which I do over 3/4 my bass
fishing time. I use a BassPro XPS rod with an old Shimano Bantam
baitcasting 100 reel. The BassPro Extreme series rod is on sale now for $50
and is very decent. If there are bass clubs where you live they are a great
place to learn what to do and buy. Some tournament fishermen are very
closed mouthed so keep trying to find someone that can help.
"Bryan" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Bryan,

Missed the original post. Try rec.outdoors.fishing.bass, it's just
next door. Intro yourself and ask questions you can't answer by
goggling rofb. Also try rofb.org. I think it is still up and has
lots of info.

As for reels, I would recommend new or used (Try ebay) Shimano Curados
for bait casting and Shimano spinning reels too. I used PP braided on
all of mine

Dan

danl1@mchsiX Remove the X for e-mail reply
1996 HD Sportster 1200S. N9JBF. Bass fishing Aficionado!
www.outdoorfrontiers.com www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!