Florida Keys Advice

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 1st, 2005, 01:22 PM
Tony Norton

Default Florida Keys Advice

Greetings,

My dad and brother gave my wife and I a Christmas gift of a six day vacation
in the Florida Keys. Included are Hilton Hotels, 5 Star Restaurants, air
fair and premium car rentals, everything has been thought of in advance.
This is a one of a kind gift and I am off the hook with excitement, I
haven't been to the Keys in 20 plus years. To top that, my wife and I
haven't had a vacation without our children in our 27 years of marriage.

With that being said I have been given a directive to book a minimum of two
guided trips on the flats. It will be in late February and having never fly
fished seriously in the salt I do not know where to begin with the
questions. I can accommodate a fair amount of appropriate gear but still
lack quite a bit. Experience and the lack of a competent Double Haul will
be my biggest short comings. I will need to begin practicing my casting and
long hauls right away. If my gear doesn't address my needs I will use the
guides offerings. There are certainly plenty of items I don't have, but I
feel I can do without.

I would greatly appreciate any and all advice regarding fly patterns I
should tie, guide recommendations, best locations and which species are hot
for that time of year. All advice and suggestions are more than welcome.

I hope everyone in the group has a prosperous and blessed New Year.

Sincerely,

Tony