PA bear attack

Old May 4th, 2005, 01:49 PM
George Adams

Default PA bear attack

I just read a very brief report regarding an attack by a black bear on
a 21 year old female camper at Hickory Run campground yesterday. She
survived the attack, apparently when the bear was driven off by other
campers. From what I read, this bear seemed to have no fear of
humans.
I don't have a direct link, but I'm sure this event will be showing up
n the media today.

You boys at the Penn's clave watch your sixes.

-------------= Posted from Ugroups.com =-------------
---= Fast & Free Web Portal to Usenet Newsgroups =---
-------------= http://www.ugroups.com/ =-------------

Old May 4th, 2005, 02:03 PM
William Claspy

On 5/4/05 8:49 AM, in article , "George Adams"
wrote:

I don't have a direct link, but I'm sure this event will be showing up
n the media today.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...,5519938.story

And

http://tinyurl.com/8ebno

Bill

Old May 4th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Frank Reid

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...,7684973.story

--
Frank Reid
Euthenize to respond

Old May 4th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Not that my proximity to the events described in the paper give me any
credibility, but I've fished right around there, have spent time in
that park, and live in the Lehigh Valley.

My friends, who all backpack and flyfish, who have all have had many
bear encounters in PA (the bears, even big bears, just stand up, look,
and then run) and I have been talking about that story - and it just
screams bull****. A 150lb bear chasing 3 adults through woods and
streams? The scene with the guy and the girl playing peeakaboo behind
a big tree . . . every time they made a noise, the bear made a swipe
with his paw? When the girl gets dragged away the guy just sits tight
and says "play dead?" The bear covered her with leaves and then took a
nap next to her?

Do you folks think I'm off-base to be suspicious of this story?

It is a nice reminder to use a bear bag, even in PA.

Old May 5th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Joe Byrd

Please find below a quote from a wildlife biologist in our local newspaper
after a rash of bear sightings here in N.E. Tennessee.
In spring, before nuts and berries are out in full, it's not uncommon for
bears to wander into residential areas in search of food. What is unique,
Hilton said, is the bear is a female with cubs.

Male bears are the most transient of the species, able to cover a 40- to
50-square-mile range. Females travel less, with a 7- to 10-mile territory,
which would be even more limited while protecting cubs.

"Females do tend to establish territories and stay put in them," he said.

To keep bears and other wildlife from invading your space, Hilton urges
keeping garbage inside overnight, along with pet food.

However, to adequately avoid tempting bears from snooping around for food,
Hilton said the entire community must act more conscientiously.

--
Visit http://www.jcbyrd-rodsmiths.com for bamboo rods and rodmaking links.
Also the SuperBlue Kit is now available.