Stargazers - Anyone eat them, how big do you get them ?

Old July 7th, 2004, 02:01 AM
David H. Lipman

Default Stargazers - Anyone eat them, how big do you get them ?

For those who fish the Atlantic Coast of the US.

Do you eat Stargazers ?
How big are the fish you get ?

I caught a just under 10lb Northern Stargazer (NJ) using a Gator 2oz spoon and released him.

Was releasing it a mistake ?

Old July 7th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Musashi

"David H. Lipman" wrote in message
For those who fish the Atlantic Coast of the US.

Do you eat Stargazers ?
How big are the fish you get ?

I caught a just under 10lb Northern Stargazer (NJ) using a Gator 2oz spoon

and released him.

Was releasing it a mistake ?

Dave

It's probabaly edible but nobody eats stargazers.
Are you sure it was Stargazer? I had no idea they could get as big as 10
pounds.

Old July 7th, 2004, 09:56 PM
David H. Lipman

No doubt it was a Stargazer. I even looked it up in "McClane's New Standarsd Fishing
Encyclopedia". It did state it was edible but no commercial value. The record in NJ is
13lbs.

Dave

Old July 7th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Musashi

OK I believe you. I'd treat it the way I treat Sea Robins sometimes.
Filet the white meat and fry them with a crust. Cant tell what they are,
just white
meat fish that isn't bad at all.

Old July 7th, 2004, 10:33 PM
David H. Lipman

You eat SeaRobins ? ? ?

I either use their belly meat for Fluke bait or just throw the bait stealers back in the
surf.

Dave

"Musashi" wrote in message
m...
| OK I believe you. I'd treat it the way I treat Sea Robins sometimes.
| Filet the white meat and fry them with a crust. Cant tell what they are,
| just white
| meat fish that isn't bad at all.
|
| "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
| No doubt it was a Stargazer. I even looked it up in "McClane's New
| Standarsd Fishing
| Encyclopedia". It did state it was edible but no commercial value. The
| record in NJ is
| 13lbs.
|
| Dave
| "Musashi" wrote in message
| |
| | "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
| | For those who fish the Atlantic Coast of the US.
| |
| | Do you eat Stargazers ?
| | How big are the fish you get ?
| |
| | I caught a just under 10lb Northern Stargazer (NJ) using a Gator 2oz
| spoon
| | and released him.
| |
| | Was releasing it a mistake ?
| |
| | Dave
| |
| |
| | It's probabaly edible but nobody eats stargazers.
| | Are you sure it was Stargazer? I had no idea they could get as big as 10
| | pounds.
| |
| |

Old July 8th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Musashi

Sea Robins or Gunards are a prized eating fish throughout the world...except
for North America where we throw them away.
You can't have authentic French Boulliabaise without sea robin.

"David H. Lipman" wrote in message
You eat SeaRobins ? ? ?

I either use their belly meat for Fluke bait or just throw the bait

stealers back in the
surf.

Dave

"Musashi" wrote in message
m...
| OK I believe you. I'd treat it the way I treat Sea Robins sometimes.
| Filet the white meat and fry them with a crust. Cant tell what they are,
| just white
| meat fish that isn't bad at all.
|
| "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
| No doubt it was a Stargazer. I even looked it up in "McClane's New
| Standarsd Fishing
| Encyclopedia". It did state it was edible but no commercial value.

The
| record in NJ is
| 13lbs.
|
| Dave
| "Musashi" wrote in message
| |
| | "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
| | For those who fish the Atlantic Coast of the US.
| |
| | Do you eat Stargazers ?
| | How big are the fish you get ?
| |
| | I caught a just under 10lb Northern Stargazer (NJ) using a Gator

2oz
| spoon
| | and released him.
| |
| | Was releasing it a mistake ?
| |
| | Dave
| |
| |
| | It's probabaly edible but nobody eats stargazers.
| | Are you sure it was Stargazer? I had no idea they could get as big

as 10
| | pounds.
| |
| |